Working at J-PAL Africa
What we do
J-PAL Africa works with researchers and policymakers throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Our work consists of supporting researchers running randomized evaluations and working with policymakers to help them leverage rigorous evidence for more effective policies and programs. A typical team member’s day-to-day work involves:
- Traveling across sub-Saharan Africa to build relationships with policymakers, understand their priorities, and identify opportunities to use evidence to design and implement more effective policies and programs.
- Writing policy memos to summarize and synthesize evidence on topics of interest to high-level decision-makers
- Summarizing results and collating and sharing implementation details from interventions that have been proven to be particularly effective
- Leading trainings to build the capacity of researchers who produce evidence, policymakers and donors who use it, and advocate of evidence-informed policy
Learn more about our policy work.
- Implementing randomized evaluations of social programs, from research design to survey management and data analysis
- Working closely with policymakers and research partner organizations to develop research activities that accommodate their ‘real world’ constraints
- Gaining intimate knowledge of different experimental contexts and sub-fields in applied microeconomics
- Developing research methods, measurement strategies and processes to suit local contexts
- Building a versatile skill set among our talented research team staff
- Conducting in-house field work, managing field teams, gathering and managing data, conducting quality control, and innovating solutions to logistical challenges
- Cleaning and analyzing survey and administrative data
- Programming in Stata, R, Open Data Kit, and more
- Building the capacity of our partners and related organizations to carry out randomized evaluations
Learn more about our research work.
J-PAL Africa’s dynamic team is based at offices in Cape Town and Johannesburg, South Africa; and Lusaka, Zambia. Learn more about our team members.
How to apply
For more information about recruitment at J-PAL, consult our Frequently Asked Questions.