Administrative Assistant - J-PAL South Asia
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) was established in 2003 as a research centre in the Economics Department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Since then, it has grown into a global network of researchers who use randomized evaluations to answer critical policy questions in the fight against poverty working in six regional offices across the world. J-PAL’s mission is to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence and research is translated into action.
What is it like to work at J-PAL?
We are a team of highly passionate professionals united by an indomitable spirit to address critical problems through rigorous research and extensive data. Our research is driven by the network of our world-renowned affiliates and is executed by a cadre of young, committed top talent recruited from India and abroad. What you experience at J-PAL, whether it is on the field in far-flung rural locations or in the cities is unique: working with highly qualified field associates; research professionals, and professors; and connecting with talent from across the world. It is an opportunity not only to hone your skills in a unique and dynamic environment but also a great opportunity to learn and understand local issues and gain a sense of purpose by being part of our mission.
Role Overview: The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) SA, is hiring a full-time “Admin Assistant” to work with the operations team to support the Directors majorly on calendar management and expense report submission. However, the candidate will be an enthusiastic, resourceful, and smart personality who will be available to deliver above and beyond the call of duties.
EA to Associate Directors
- Managing calendars and meetings, submitting monthly expenses through the portal, and related admin duties of Associate Directors.
- Supporting general operational duties including photocopying, scanning, faxing, and mailing (couriers).
- Making the conference room ready for onsite meetings.
- Assisting the ADs during vertical events related work
- Getting documents printed and signed by the Associate Directors when requested by other staff.
- Corresponding on behalf of Associate Directors with other staff members, when assigned.
- Supporting any other AD support duties assigned or required.
- Supporting Admin Associate / Senior Admin Associate as per the requirements.
- Assisting Admin Manager for all Training and organizational events, meetings/workshops, etc. from end to end, including strategizing, planning, and execution with the highest quality outcome, comfort, and cost control.
- Handling air/train and hotel ticketing on a day to day basis in Admin Associate’s absence and updating the portal on a real-time basis.
- Making local travel arrangements as per request and keeping a tracker of the same.
- Keeping inventory of office supplies and office items.
- Providing support to Admin Associate in Office Asset Verification for Delhi and other offices.
- Assisting the Manager for pick/drops, room allocation, collaterals, gifts, registration, special event nights, and supplies ensuring or leading to successful event/satisfied participants outcome.
- Assisting Delhi and other offices, upon request from Admin Manager/Admin Associate to perform procurement assistance after collecting quotes, drafting comparative matrix, etc.
- Ensuring that billing is accurate and negotiated well to reduce last-minute minor request charge etc. and process the vendor payment for the same on the portal.
- Assist in collecting quotes from vendors and provide assistance to renew all the Vendor contracts as a process as per the expiry date of the same (keeping tab on the same)
- Responsible for reception and related activities i.e. attending phone calls, sending and receiving couriers, welcoming guests and keeping record of staff entry and exit in the register with their body temperature.
- Providing general support to all JPAL visitors in booking hotel/guest house rooms with contracted hotels/guest houses under supervisor’s guidance and maintaining records for the same for invoice processing on a later date.
- Providing support and assistance to upgrade the JPAL office infrastructure and also assist in coordinating social events as per the date of the same.
Structure and Reporting:
Admin assistant will report to the Admin Associate / Senior Admin Associate and will be expected to work in close cooperation with other members of the Admin team as well as other functions.
Required professional experience:
- 0 to 3 years Admin-related experience in Administrative support, procurement, event management, logistical support, team management, EA experience not mandatory but preferred, etc.
- Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint and Google office.
Other competencies required:
- Attention to detail
- Positive attitude
- Flexible and highly motivated.
- Good logical reasons and analytical skills.
- Strong listening skills.
- Ability to work under stretched timelines, and dynamic and fast-paced work environments
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Finance and Operations job category, then select Administrative Assistant - J-PAL South Asia and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.