Administrative Associate - J-PAL Global
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a network of affiliated professors who conduct randomized evaluations (REs). J-PAL's headquarters is a center within MIT’s Economics Department. J PAL's mission is to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is based on scientific evidence.
The Administrative Associate is based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA and provides direct assistance to up to two J-PAL Directors, one of whom is an MIT faculty member and one of whom is J-PAL staff, and provides general support for J-PAL Global.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Administrative assistance to a J-PAL faculty Director
- Maintaining calendars and schedules
- Managing business and other contacts on the Director’s behalf
- Managing expense receipts and processing reimbursements
- Organizing complex international travel arrangements, both domestic and international, including visa applications
- Submitting letters of recommendation to graduate programs for students
- Submitting manuscripts to journals
- Providing advance copy-editing and proofreading support for recommendation letters and other high-level documents
- Keeping Director’s Papers and Publications site updated
- Limited event planning and coordination (including invitations, travel, facilities, and catering)
- Coordinating conference calls and in-person meetings
- Coordinating and managing meetings, including scheduling, distributing agendas, notetaking, maintaining confidential files
- Anticipating various support needs that may arise
Administrative assistance for J-PAL Director
- Organizing international travel arrangements and managing travel reimbursements
- Maintaining schedules, coordinating meetings, and organizing conference calls with both internal and external stakeholders
- Miscellaneous: Any other tasks assigned by the Director of Administration and Finance.
General Support for J-PAL Global office
- Coordinating and operating regular worldwide meetings of J-PAL and partner staff: collect agenda points, collect/prepare documents, prepare agenda for review with staff lead, lead meeting through the agenda; organize communications infrastructure
- Editing and maintaining J-PAL’s staff web pages for worldwide staff; perform quality control and maintain standards on partner office submissions
- Keeping updated version of seating chart plan and arranging for physical accommodation of new hires, temporary staff, etc.
- Managing staff listservs, general office inboxes, and basic Affiliate support
- Active member of the Office Operations Committee for J-PAL Global that includes: strategically thinking about office solutions to make the office run smoothly and efficiently; being a point of contact for event support; and sharing responsibility for copy-edit and proofreading requests
- Maintaining and entering J-PAL contacts and Affiliates into Salesforce
- Assisting with general system onboarding for staff by creating email accounts in Gmail; adding staff to Google Groups, team calendars, and Google drive folders; uploading human subject certificates for J-PAL Global staff into Salesforce; and sending welcome email to staff on their first day
- Assisting with general system offboarding in Salesforce and Gmail deactivation
- Other general support tasks as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Education: This position requires a high school diploma, with an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience: 3 years experience in a professional work environment and relevant administrative support experience required.
- Work style: Attention to detail, ability to work on projects independently yet accept supervision, and total reliability is required. Strong copy editing/proof reading skills and experience required. Enthusiasm for work, willingness to pitch in as needed, and a flexible approach to the working environment is essential.
- Time Management: Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines. Strong ability to anticipate, plan, prioritize and meet deadlines is essential.
- Software proficiency: Experience with computer applications and comfort learning new applications is required.