(Associate) Policy & Research Manager - IPA
- Côte d'Ivoire
The IPA Francophone West Africa Country team seeks a highly motivated (Associate) Policy & Research Manager with outstanding policy, project, data, and people management to oversee a growing portfolio of policy and research projects in Francophone West Africa. The (Associate) Policy & Research Manager will oversee an existing portfolio of studies and policy projects in the countries which span the sectors of governance, employment, social protection, financial inclusion, socio-economic recovery and early childhood development. This is a unique opportunity for a highly qualified individual to provide strong leadership and act as a critical bridge between leading academic researchers, policymakers, and staff implementing research and policy engagements on the ground. The (Associate) Policy & Research Manager must possess the technical skills to ensure the highest quality and rigor in the design and implementation of our research and policy engagements, adequate communication skills (written and verbal presentation) to maintain strong connections with our clients and partners (present and potential), and the managerial skills to efficiently and effectively manage complex workflows, staff teams, and project financials (i.e. budgets, grants).
As an ideal candidate, you not only have a rock-solid technical foundation in impact evaluation methodology, but you can also independently guide and direct the activities that happen both upstream and downstream of any rigorous, randomized evaluation (i.e. mapping theory of change, measurement design and piloting, data analysis, results communication, etc.). You enjoy leading high-performing teams that drive the production of the highest quality research for our clients and partners. You excel in solving problems using clear, strategic, and creative thinking. You have a strong social acumen and are excited about the opportunity to broaden, deepen, and manage meaningful relationships with high-level clients and partners across the public and private sector.
This position is ideal for a bright, go-getter, energetic self-starter, who has previous research experience implementing RCTs and a strong understanding of economics, data management and analysis, as well as policymaking processes. The (Associate) Policy & Research Manager will work closely with and be mentored by the Head of Policy & Right-fit-Evidence (RFE) on a range of topics, including new project development, stakeholder management, and staff development.
- Directly supervise, coach, and mentor project research and policy staff (Research and Policy Associates, and Field Managers) in implementing complex research and policy projects using high standards set by IPA;
- Represent the office and team at important partner meetings, steward relationships, as well as policy implementation of evidence produced in strong coordination with other Country Office leadership members
- Support with transitions, on-boarding of new research and policy staff and maintaining “institutional memory” of project activities;
- Manage close relationships with researchers in multiple research institutions, funders, and implementing partners to ensure successful projects;
- Supervise research and policy project teams to code high-quality technical deliverables, such as complex digital surveys, data flow, and data quality control systems, advanced statistical analysis, and technical reports;
- In dialogue with the Country Director, potential partners, principal investigators, identify and develop potential projects with meaningful research and policy implications;
- Supervise survey implementation, data quality assurance, data cleaning, data analysis and other activities related to rigorous impact evaluation implementation;
- Produce and ensure that project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, are submitted to donors and partners per the deadline;
- Contribute to project design and lead budgeting during the proposal stage to ensure evaluations meet IPA standard;
- Ensure that project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, are submitted to donors and partners on time and lead on a report on agriculture with a multilateral organization;
- Support country team leadership discussions across Francophone West Africa and work with local research institutions and persons to establish more evidence-thinking in policy-making in the sub-region;
- Lead training on data management and general project management for new/incoming project research staff;
- Promote inter-project best practices and take a lead in sharing best practices with projects through formal and informal training opportunities;
- Lead as the point of contact for data management and analysis support for project staff by serving as the link between projects and IPA headquarters;
- Co-design meetings with local government officials and partners to ensure success of both project specific and key IPA programmatic activities as well as in strong collaboration with the Country Director liaise with implementers and donors to develop new mission relevant projects as the point person on the ground;
- When requested, support the dissemination of results via presentations and reports to academic and non-academic audiences;
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Education: Master’s Degree in a quantitative social science, such as economics, statistics, or public policy
- Work experience: A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in research, international development, and project management
- Language skills: French and English fluency required
- Data oversight: Experience supervising large data collection research projects, including leading survey design, implementation, and data management
- Policy: Experience in working with policymakers and understanding policymaking processes, providing capacity building and technical assistance to public administration
- People management: Experience supervising staff (beyond temporary survey team); experience nurturing and growing staff for new roles in an organization
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the APPROPRIATE CATEGORY job category, then select “(Associate) Policy & Research Manager”. Applications require you to include a statement of purpose (cover letter) and CV.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.