Associate, Various Offices - Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
- Some post-secondary education
- Other advanced degree
*** BUSARA IS NOW HIRING FOR ASSOCIATES IN KENYA, NIGERIA, AND INDIA ***
*** WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE FRENCH AND SPANISH SPEAKERS TO APPLY ***
*** APPLY BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK ***
The Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a non-profit that works with researchers and organizations to advance and apply behavioral science in pursuit of poverty alleviation. We are taking applications for new Associates. This year we've launched a new strategy to expand our work globally, signed new projects across Africa and South Asia, and grown our Nigeria office. We've examined poverty through the prism of aspirations, stress levels, and cash transfers. We are now operating in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Nigeria and India, as well as Kenya. That's all in pursuit of our twin missions of advancing behavioral science and alleviating poverty.
Does this sound interesting? If so, are you looking to:
- Design and develop research and advisory projects focused on using behavioral science to alleviate global poverty
- Recruit partners from academic institutions, development banks, large NGOs, private companies and social enterprises and manage the relationships
- Implement qualitative and quantitative behavioral research
- Develop and pilot instruments
- Manage large scale field and lab projects with leading academics and institutions
- Organize, clean, and analyze data
- Disseminate results, prepare project reports, and present results
- Design future scopes of work
- Live, travel, and work in Lagos, Nairobi, or Delhi
Good. So you’re interested in the organization and what the role entails. But do you have what we’re looking for?
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields. Other fields will be considered.
- 2-5 years of previous work in consulting and client management, research, project management, and/or international development
- Strong quantitative skills including knowledge of and experience working with data analysis software
- Fluency/working knowledge in quantitative data analysis methods
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Interest in behavioral science and its real world applications
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a multi-cultural work environments
- Fluency in French or Spanish
- Strong preference for prior experience managing and mentoring staff
- Familiarity of the contexts which we work in
What's the difference between an "Associate" and a "Research Specialist"?
You might notice that the Associate and Research Specialist at Busara look quite similar. That's because they are, but have a few subtle differences. Research Specialists sit in our Labs division and focus on designing and implementing cutting edge experimental research. They write papers and focus on the technical (science) aspect of the work that we do. Primarily Research Specialists support internal research and academics, with technical assistance to other Associates on their projects.
Associates on the other hand are more focused on applied behavioral science with our partners. They manage and execute the bulk of our projects with partners (typically applied behavioral science), and will bring in Research Specialists when extra technical work is needed.
If you're more interested in working with organizational clients, the Associate position is probably a better fit, and if you are more interested in pure research, the Research Specialist position is likely better for you.
How to Apply
At Busara we embed behavioral science into everything we do, including the hiring process. In an effort to de-bias ourselves from what we know can cause systematic hiring discrimination, we do as many things as possible blindly and objectively.
For you, that means you have to fill out the questions on the application as well as upload your CV. I know, this is infuriating, but it's not because we're lazy -- it's because we are going to blindly review candidates based on the answers to your questions as well as their education and experience, and consider full CVs in future stages of the process. Thus, it's very important for you to fill out the questions completely, without mention of your name or any other potentially biasing information about yourself.
Due to immigration laws, we are only hiring those with existing legal right to work in India for the Delhi office.
*** APPLY BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK ***