Finance and Administration Manager (part time position)
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a network of 180 affiliated professors from leading universities around the world who conduct randomized evaluations (REs). Its mission is to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. J-PAL's headquarters is a center within MIT’s Economics Department in Cambridge, USA, with six independent regional offices in Africa, Europe, Latin America, North America, South Asia, and Southeast Asia that are hosted by a prominent local university. J-PAL’s Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) regional office is hosted at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile in Santiago. From its launch in 2009, LAC has supported many research projects using field REs, organized numerous capacity building courses, and built many high-level relationships with key policymakers both within Chile and across the continent.
The Finance and Administration Lead will administer and manage J- PAL LAC resources (financial, human and material resources) and will provide timely and quality budget and spending information to the different areas that make up the organization.
The position, along with the Executive Director (ED) and Scientific Director, is one of the main points of contact for financial, legal and administrative matters between J-PAL LAC and the departments of the host university.
Grants Management (25%)
• Supervise to F&A SPA on following tasko Prepare project budgets and budget notes, working with the research/policy team.
• Run monthly reports on spending against budget from SAP and provide reports to project managers.
• With PUC procurement, establish contracts with service providers as needed.
• Prepare donor financial reports as needed.
General Finance and Operations (25% time)
• With the Executive Director and J-PAL Global, prepare the annual budget in October each year.
• Track overall spending compared to budget monthly and report quarterly for ED and Global review.
• Allocate spending to appropriate income sources (Core, Project, etc.).
• Control and monitor all accounting and management accounts of the organization, with regular reporting, management of documents including archiving, and overall organization of the finance function.
• Ensure compliance with J-PAL LAC contracts and agreements related to projects and the organization.
• Work with the ED, J-PAL Global, and PUC to create and improve procedures for the proper financial, accounting and legal functioning of the organization.
• Prepare and manage contracts and agreements related to projects and staff with legal unit in PUC.
• Inform and monitor payroll payment fees monthly.
• Prepare and report payroll wages to PUC for processing.
• Coordinate the repair and maintenance of the office, process and supervise changes in it.
Financial Management: Experience preparing budgets and spending reports and working with procurement systems to make purchases and enter into contracts; experience with accounting systems required, experience with SAP preferred; strong organizational skills and proven ability to manage multiple projects; experience communicating with senior management on financial trends and results.
At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a closely related field.
At least 5 years of relevant work experience in finance and operations; experience in a university or school setting a plus. The candidate must be able of communicate financial information clearly and advise senior staff on spending trends and financial concerns. Knowledge of local labor, financial and accounting norms and laws is a must.
Note: This is a half-time position. The position’s specific weekly schedule will be determined taking into account the selected applicant’s preferences. Work permission (to work in Chile) is a must.
How to Apply
Send a CV and cover letter to [email protected]