General Field Research Associate
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s
Language Requirement: English
Start Date: Summer 2024 (exact date to be determined with hiring faculty members).
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and our partner organizations seek qualified applicants for positions as Field Research Associates to participate in field operations and data collection for projects around the world in the field of development economics, with projects in agriculture, crime, education, environment, finance, health, labor, and political economy and governance.
The projects study and evaluate a variety of topics and policy-relevant interventions within the previously listed fields. The positions offer an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. These positions are located primarily in developing countries around the world and the principal investigators are J-PAL affiliated professors.
Field Research Associates work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercise, refining study design and surveying instruments, managing survey teams, negotiating contracts with survey firms, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with local partners running the programs being evaluated.
These positions may lead to a growing research career within J-PAL or similar organizations, but can also be a great launching point for graduate study in economics, public policy, and related fields.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields. Training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced math required.
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus.
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “General Field Research Associate”. Applications for general positions require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.