Initiative Manager (Labor Sector / LAC) - J-PAL LAC
Read this job description in Portuguese here.
J-PAL Latin America and the Caribbean (J-PAL LAC) is recruiting a Policy Manager with a focus on the labor sector to contribute to its mission of promoting evidence-informed policy. The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of over 200 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty.
The Jobs and Opportunity Initiative - Brazil is housed inside J-PAL's Jobs and Opportunity Initiative (JOI), which is one of J-PAL's 24 Initiatives. J-PAL initiatives concentrate funding and other resources around priority topics for which rigorous policy-relevant research is urgently needed. JOI aims to generate a body of policy-relevant rigorous research that addresses pressing labor market challenges. Knowledge gaps include questions about supply and matching, job creation, and the future of jobs. JOI aims to offer guidance for implementing organizations, governments, and donors, so that policies can be guided by scientific evidence to improve employment outcomes. In Brazil, JOI Brazil will be launched thanks to generous support from Fundação Arymax, B3 Social, Potencia Ventures, and the Interamerican Development Bank.
The Initiative Manager is expected to coordinate J-PAL LAC's JOI Brazil. The person will work under the direction of the J-PAL LAC senior team in Chile. The Manager will be responsible for the coordination of the workflow of other two permanent team members (one Postdoc and one Associate) and the Initiative's administrative team.
The Manager will perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: managing the JOI Brazil Team, elaborating reports to donors and partners, developing financial analysis, coordinating fundraising activities, organizing policy influence and policy outreach activities, cultivating relationships within the Brazilian government and other important local stakeholders, supporting the incubation of projects, representing J-PAL on events and systematizing available evidence.
The person is expected to work remotely for now and in São Paulo after the end of the Covid-19 crisis. Our office in São Paulo is at Insper.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion
Embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion is essential to address the complex causes and consequences of poverty. To advance our mission, J-PAL LAC must draw on diverse experiences from our staff and affiliated researchers in order to ask better questions and identify better solutions. We are working to increase the limited representation of individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in the economics profession. Our organization is seeking to attract, develop, and advance a diverse staff and build a pipeline to increase diversity among economic researchers. We are committed to engaging in self-reflection, learning, and dialogue to nurture understanding across differences. Together, we will build an equitable, inclusive culture where everyone is respected, empowered, and heard.
As our Initiative Manager, you will be involved in hiring other staff for the J-PAL team. We expect you to identify with our commitment to diversity.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Program Management (50%)
- Administer JOI Brazil Round for Proposals responsibly, in close coordination with the Senior Team at J-PAL LAC and support from the JOI team at the Global office.
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with JOI Brazil's stakeholders (Co-chairs, Strategic Committee, and Partners)
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with partners
- Supervise the JOI Brazil team on everything from work-life balance and writing tips, to career growth and professional development.
Fundraising activities (20%)
- Support J-PAL LAC's Executive Direction in fundraising activities to further strengthen J-PAL’s work in Brazil.
- Lead the development of grant proposals.
- Plan, organize, and represent J-PAL in events organized by JOI Brazil.
Policy Outreach and Policy Influence (30%)
- Build relationships with key partners in governments, NGOs, foundations in Brazil to present JOI Brazil's work.
- Write policy publications in coordination with the Policy team to make JOI Brazil's research results readily available as lessons for policymakers in Brazil and the region.
- More than five years of professional work experience is highly preferred, including experience in research implementation and project management.
- Most of our managers have a masters’ degree in economics, public policy, public administration, statistics or related technical fields including training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced mathematics. This said, we are open to applicants who have relevant experience instead.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations, including senior government officials, local partners and research team.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials and impact evaluation methodologies required
- We value experience in community organizing, activism, or engagements focused on bettering the lives of your community.
Total compensation packages are competitive for the non-profit sector in Brazil.
J-PAL is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, or age.
Work authorization in Brazil. This is a position based in Brazil and is not eligible for any type of visa sponsorship.
- Additional languages required: Full proficiency in Portuguese is a must. Fluent English is an advantage but not mandatory. Willingness to communicate with the J-PAL LAC team in Spanish is welcome.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please follow the next steps:
Send an email to [email protected] following these instructions exactly:
- In the subject line, write: "Gerente JOI Brasil - and your full name" Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail.
- Please attach in a single PDF
- one-page cover letter stating your qualifications and reasons for your interest in J-PAL. Feel free to share aspects of your life that might not be easy to spot on your CV but might make you a good candidate! This letter may be in the language (Portuguese or English) you are most comfortable with.
- One page curriculum vitae (resume), and
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.