IT Associate - J-PAL Global
- United States of America
- Some post-secondary education
MIT provides incredible employee benefits including tuition assistance for your next degree or continued learning. J-PAL/MIT is looking for an IT Associate who is seeking a meaningful role in an organization that is working to make a transformative difference in the lives of hundreds of millions of people worldwide by using scientific evidence to fight poverty. And at the same time is based at one of the world’s top STEM universities at the cutting edge of innovations in computing and IT in one of the most innovative cities; and that provides incredible employee benefits.
J-PAL plays a key role in helping its affiliated professors conduct field research in dozens of countries around the world to help improve the effectiveness of social programs. Its staff work to help translate this research into actionable poverty alleviation policies around the world, and build the capacity of researchers and policymakers to use evidence in decision-making. Staff connect the dots between economics and policy and are passionate about working with organizations to inform development policy.
With J-PAL's continuing growth, the IT Associate will help with day-to-day end user support, including creating system images, setting up new machines for staff, provisioning accounts, troubleshooting user issues, data import and cleaning activities, assisting with reporting, creating user documentation and working with senior staff to improve our overall technology deployment.
Responsibilities may include:
- Responding to support tickets for user support and researching problems prior to escalation
- Assisting staff to troubleshoot hardware issues and escalating when necessary
- Common tasks include creating new accounts, shutting down old accounts and resetting passwords
- Working with the IT team to import data, identify and merge duplicates and clean data using defined processes
- Monitor spam and alert the IT team to any suspicious activity
- Assist with staff with creating reports and dashboards on Salesforce
J-PAL invests in your professional development. As a member of the finance and operations team, you will have the opportunity to continue to learn, engage, and grow.
Learn: J-PAL supports a culture of learning, with opportunities to attend weekly MIT–Harvard Development Seminars and take classes for credit at MIT or elsewhere with our generous tuition assistance program. All J-PAL staff are also eligible to take the innovative online MITx MicroMasters credential in Data, Economics, and Development Policy (DEDP) free of charge. MIT also provides significant professional development opportunities in management, finance, and leadership.
Engage: You will work on proposal development and grants, and because of that, also have an opportunity to directly interact with many of the senior staff from around the world, affiliated professors, policymakers, and practitioners.
Grow: You will be a key member of J-PAL’s staff and interact with staff and affiliates worldwide, collaborating to build and improve management practices and organizational systems.
As a member of the MIT community, you benefit from more than just your salary. J-PAL hires highly qualified staff and rewards them accordingly. Total compensation packages are competitive for the non-profit international development field with excellent MIT benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, a 401(k) match and pension-based retirement plan, tuition assistance, commuter benefits, MIT community discounts, a generous vacation policy, and more. And we love our newly renovated offices in the heart of Kendall Square at MIT, just a two-minute walk from the Red Line T station. We like working at MIT and think you will too.
- Minimum requirements include a high school diploma or equivalent, familiarity with installing, configuring and securing Windows 7 in an office setting, and a general interest and knowledge of current technology.
- Minimum 3 years computer user support experience required. The ideal candidate will also have some experience with Mac OS X, Linux, Google Apps, Google suite admin experience, scripting, solid hardware knowledge and automated software installation, patching and updating tools.
- Must have excellent customer service and communications skills. Knowledge of MIT's computing environment and experience working in Salesforce is helpful, but not required.
- You are comfortable and adept at working in a diverse and multicultural work environment, with colleagues, partners and policymakers from around the world.
To learn more about J-PAL, please visit https://www.povertyactionlab.org/.
If you would like to learn more about J-PAL Global’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, please visit this webpage.
How to Apply
Ready to work with J-PAL? And to join a team of supportive, engaging, and fun colleagues?
Apply now by searching for Job ID 19917 at http://careers.mit.edu
Please be sure to include a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for this position along with your resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so apply as soon as you have your materials ready. Short-listed candidates will be invited to several virtual interviews. Please note this position is not eligible for any type of visa sponsorship.