Manager: C-LOP - J-PAL South Asia
Start date: ASAP
About the Organization
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 171 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 182 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
About the Position
J-PAL SA, based at the Institute of Financial Research and Management in India, seeks a Manager under its newly launched initiative on Creating Learning Opportunities for Public Officials (C-LOP) in India. We are looking for a high-caliber individual who can leverage his/her knowledge, experience and passion for capacity development, learning and education for Government leaders in India.
The C-LOP Initiative is a fund dedicated to support Government of India’s Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) and other Government training institutions in their efforts to assemble a global coalition of knowledge partners and universities. By working in close partnership with DoPT, the C-LOP initiative will create a platform that will provide lifelong learning opportunities to public officials in India to build their skills and knowledge across a wide range of domains.
The Manager will play an important leadership role by contributing to the C-LOP initiative and will closely work with
the C-LOP Senior Manager as well as support the engagement with DoPT. S/he will also work with other critical government departments and training institutions to understand their needs and help them deliver online and blended training modules, creating a continuum of learning opportunities for public officials in India.
The key responsibilities include:
- Work closely with DoPT to deliver on a range of tasks, including identification of competencies and associated training needs required by public officials.
- Coordinate with specific government departments and training institutions to identify the required competencies, associated roles and activities of public officials.
- Coordinate and support capacity building efforts across government departments to streamline this initiative.
- Identify and liaise with global institutions providing on-line, blended and face-to-face content that map to the skills and knowledge identified by DoPT and organize in-person sessions to supplement courses wherever needed.
- Spearhead initiative on creating Joint Learning Networks on the learning platform for public officials.
- Lead efforts to enable government training institutions to embed the curated on-line courses as a part of their regular training offerings.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders by sharing of periodic updates through documents, presentations etc.
- Develop documents, create presentations and other collateral as required.
The Manager will be responsible for stakeholder management including partnerships with Government, ensuring partner satisfaction across all stakeholders and supporting J-PAL’s high- performing staff.
This role will require frequent travel within India.
The Manager is expected to manage a team of 2-3 associates and senior associates.
- 6-9 years of work experience in a high performing environment
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy or related fields
- Experience in EdTech and managing or leading online learning
- Prior capacity building experience in the development sector, preferably with governments
- Management skills and experience
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience, including hiring, training, and management of staff
- Experience writing and managing budgets
- Experience working with complex partnerships, especially with governments, donors, and research organizations
Skills and competencies
- Exceptional communication skills, including writing, conversing and presenting clearly in English
- Proven ability to independently handle multiple diverse assignments simultaneously, successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines while conducting high-quality work
- Ability to work closely with multiple team members in a collaborative manner
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically frequently and flexibility.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Training job category, then select "Manager: C-LOP - J-PAL South Asia” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.