Manager, Finance and Operations - J-PAL MENA
Purpose: The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab’s Middle East and North Africa (J-PAL MENA) regional office is based at The American University in Cairo (AUC) School of Business. J-PAL is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of more than 200 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL draws on results from randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty.
Under the supervision of the Director, J-PAL Finance & Operations, the holder of this position will supervise the work of the Admin Assistant & Senior Logistics Specialist to ensure smooth financial management across the entire J-PAL portfolio with guidance from the Director. S/he will generate regular financial reports for review with internal stakeholders, and process various grant-related transactions according to AUC and J-PAL MENA/sponsor requirements. S/he will be responsible for operational oversight and streamlining of all financial and operational functions within the unit including managing and monitoring of multi-million grants budget, ensuring compliance
with and effective implementation of various sponsors and AUC’s policies, rules and regulations for the appropriate use of funds. S/he will coach F&O staff who process payments, review documentation, manage petty cash, and ensure compliance and other administrative work.
- Create first draft of new grants proposal budget and current grant budget modifications and finalize them with supervision and guidance from the Director; and review existing budgets and propose adjustments for them according to changing needs
- Prepare and review annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and report the result to Director of F&O
- Review annual and quarterly financial reports in conjunction with the Grants office, report on variations against budget in a timely manner and submit the results to Director of F&O
- Work closely with Director of F&O to ensure compliance of accounting and budget-monitoring activities with a diverse range of sponsors’ and AUC’s regulations, policies and procedures
- Liaise with grant accounting services, supply chain, human resources and others, as needed in addition to partners/donors with respect to relevant logistical and financial functions of J-PAL MENA.
- Support internal and external auditors and provide them with the required documentation and financial information; ensure implementation of auditor’s recommendations.
- Responsible for running the financial and accounting activities/ transactions for 2 main labs; Egypt
- Impact Lab (EIL) with Ministry of Planning and Air & Water Lab with Community Jameel.
- Coordinate J-PAL MENA financial logistics, procurement and HR related functions, providing support and guidance to the J-PAL MENA team
- Assist the Director of F&O to develop internal and external operational manuals for J-PAL MENA outlining a system for office documentation, and the policies and procedures regulating the financial and related logistical functions in line with the grant terms and AUC’s policies and procedures, and in alignment with the J-PAL MENA policies
- Communicate sponsors’ regulations to J-PAL MENA team and, with Director advising, ensure alignment of grant activities with those regulations
- Ensure proper documentation of financial reports, and other evidence related to J-PAL MENA for audit purposes
- Supervise and oversee the performance of the Admin Assistant & Senior Logistics Specialist t; including developing and delivering training for senior officers and other junior staff in F&O.
- Work with multiple project/grants stakeholders to ensure that the project’s financial activities are in line with the grant’s timeline objectives
- Perform any additional duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirements:
· B. A. or B.Sc. is required in a related field
· M.A. in a related field is an asset
- 12-15 years' experience in grants administration and financial management is required with at least 3 years in a managerial position.
- Prior experience in grants accounting, budget monitoring and financial reporting Skilled in collecting and analyzing data
- Excellent command of English and Arabic, written and spoken
- Good attention to details with excellent follow up skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise budget monitoring
- Good communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish/maintain effective working relationships with team members
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Results-oriented and able to work effectively within a team
- Excellent organization, planning and administrative skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Gmail and Google Calendar is a necessity
- Good working knowledge of SAP is a plus
How to Apply
Please apply through the Google Form application. You will be asked to upload a cover letter and a CV or resume. The cover letter should discuss your fit for and interest in the position and J-PAL. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.