M&E Associate, Philippines - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action seeks an M&E Associate to support an IPA team providing Monitoring and Evaluation advisory and technical support to government departments in the Philippines. These may include the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and/or the Department of Education (DepEd).
The M&E Associate will assist the IPA team (comprising at least two other team members, a Manager and Senior M&E Associate) to provide technical support throughout an M&E advisory engagement to improve the departments’ monitoring and evaluation plans and processes by coaching and mentoring key agency staff.
Responsibilities The M&E Associate will assist each of the agencies in preparing their evaluation agendas, developing evaluation plans for priority programs, and assessing the evaluability of those programs against current capacity and resourcing. To that end, the Associate will support officials in identifying their principal goals, help them to craft theories of change and M&E plans for these programs, and find areas where they can improve their existing M&E operations. With the assistance of IPA leadership and staff, the M&E Associate will organize workshops and meetings with staff at the government agencies to identify priority programs that are eligible for evaluation.
The M&E Associate will then work individually with staff from these programs to prepare evaluation plans and assessments to define their evaluation objectives, questions, methodologies, milestones, resources required, risks, and other important information. In the process, the Associate will form long-term relationships between IPA and the implementing staff of the programs, with the broader aim of strengthening the M&E culture in these organizations.
Finally, the M&E Associate will work under the guidance of the M&E Manager to conduct an assessment of the feasibility of the M&E plans, based on the departments’ available data, stakeholder buy-in, and capacity. The Associate will also help to prepare reports documenting the findings of this work and to propose next steps, with the aim of moving towards structured evaluations of the priority programs.
- Bachelor's degree in international public policy, education, social science, or related fields;Relevant work experience in roles involving working with data, such as management consulting, data analytics, or policy analysis;
- Superior analytical, quantitative, and conceptual thinking skills;Strong client-facing and presentation skills;
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies;
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally;
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility, and strong multi-tasking skills;
- Passion for making data-driven decision a reality in the development sector;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Hands-on experience supporting data systems or Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems.
- Master's degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field;Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in statistics, data analysis or MEL methodologies;
- Experience working with large-scale data systems such as government databases;
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of MEL (both quantitative and qualitative research methods);
- Familiarity with Stata or similar data analysis software, SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software.