Monitoring & Evaluation Associate, Right-Fit Evidence Unit - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit Evidence (RFE) Unit is seeking a M&E Associate to join our growing Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) advisory practice. The RFE Unit is a global team at IPA which advises NGOs, social businesses, funders and governments on how to develop and implement adaptive and cost-effective M&E systems. The M&E Associate will help develop and work on M&E advisory engagements across our country offices and program sectors based on need and areas of interest. The position is based in New York, with roughly 30-40% travel to various IPA country offices. The position will report to the Senior M&E Engagement Manager in New York.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit Evidence Unit at IPA is a new effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit provides consulting and direct services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost-effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality.
The M&E Associate will have the unique opportunity to take part in developing the core approaches and methodologies of the RFE Unit as it grows, setting the foundation for its ambitious growth and influence agenda within the development sector. While relevant experience is a plus, this entry-level role is also suitable for a recent college graduate with very strong academic credentials.
- Assist in developing new RFE engagements, including designing methodologies, writing proposals, and conducting scoping visits, in collaboration with country teams and sector program experts
- Provide analytical, research, and writing support to the country offices that are delivering RFE engagements on an as-needs basis (currently Cote d’Ivoire, Uganda, Kenya, Ghana and the Philippines)
- Participate in the refinement, standardization and documentation of core methodologies, tools and training materials that are being developed by the RFE team, in order to eventually create publicly accessible resources for the development sector to use
- Conduct discrete analytical and research projects on the cutting edge of M&E practice
- Conduct market research and landscape analysis to allow IPA to strategically position the RFE offering
- Assist with facilitation, logistical preparation, and documentation of M&E workshops to develop M&E plans in line with RFE principles
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Superior analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Familiarity with statistics and data analysis (including strong Excel skills)
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and willingness to learn.
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- 0-4 years of relevant work experience, including experience in M&E (public sector) or organizational performance/R&D/operational research (private sector); or experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience working in developing countries
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of M&E (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software