Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager, Cote d'Ivoire - IPA
- Côte d'Ivoire
Innovations for Poverty Action Côte d’Ivoire seeks a qualified Monitoring and Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager to provide overall management and technical leadership for a large multi-partner engagement providing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) services to a wide range of partners in the early childhood development and primary education sectors in Côte d’Ivoire.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor.Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit Evidence Unit at IPA is an advisory team focused on helping organizations use data and evidence to learn and adapt their programs to increase effectiveness. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit advises organizations on how to use data and evidence to design more effective programs and create meaningful measurement routines, and accompanies them through the process of analysis and adaptation. Clients include NGOs, funders, social businesses and governments.In 2015, the Jacobs Foundation (JF) and its partners launched the program Transforming Education in Cocoa Communities (TRECC) which aims to catalyze the interests of the private sector, the government and civil society organizations around the goal of ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education with lifelong learning opportunities for all. JF has decided to adopt a pilot-to-scale approach. JF and interested industry partners designed different interventions and tested with clearly established parameters and commitments. Eight projects that demonstrated tangible success were moved to the extension phase. In that context, IPA’s Right-Fit Evidence Unit provides technical advice and support to ensure that those projects rely on strong M&E and Learning practices, and to contribute to broader MEL capacity strengthening for all government and NGO partners involved. In addition, IPA’s Right Fit Evidence is evaluating the performance of a subset of the projects using both data collected by IPA and data that the implementers will collect via their own M&E systems.
This position is ideal for a bright, energetic, versatile, and growth-oriented individual, who has some experience designing and implementing M&E strategies, excellent communication and stakeholder management skills and understanding of data management and analysis. This position provides a unique opportunity for professional development through leading a large engagement and being exposed to frontier thinking in the evidence-to-policy space, at the same time as making a lasting contribution to the quality of childhood development and education programs in Cote d’Ivoire.
The MEL manager will oversee all aspects of this engagement, leading a team of approximately 5 permanent staff (including 2 M&E coordinators), and a large number of short-term staff during data collection periods.His/her responsibilities will encompass four main areas:
- Lead the engagement strategy of the Right-Fit Evidence Unit in the Education and ECD sectors in Côte d’Ivoire, with the overarching goal of helping partners make better use of data and evidenceCoordinate the collaboration with the funder, government, private sector and NGO partners
- Collaborate with the research teams of IPA Côte d’Ivoire to ensure optimal synergies between different stream of work involving common partners.
- Be the main point person for the RFE Unit for the development of new engagements in Cote d’IvoireMEL Support & capacity building for project partners
- Provide technical support through coaching, feedback on M&E instruments, training and other on-site supportProvide capacity building with the goal of strengthening quality and use of data among partners on these projects and beyond, with particular emphasis on government partners
- Work collaboratively with the different partners for strengthening integration and cross-learning in organizationsIndependent Evaluations
- Lead the design and implementation of independent Data Collections (DC) with the goal of complementing the monitoring data collection by implementers, ensure coherence across all pilots and inform the conclusion on project performance
- Coordinate with IPs for their inputs on the indicators being measuredSupervise data management and analysis, and write-up of findings
- Present findings to relevant stakeholder and support the activities of dissemination
- Take charge of the professional development of a team of approximately 5 RFE team membersPrepare deliverables including progress reports, final report and presentationsOversee the finances of the engagement
- Qualifications We are seeing three different types of profiles that could fit this position particularly well (and if you don’t fall in any of these categories but feel like you meet the qualifications below, please do apply as well!)
- Management consultants with international development experience who would be excited in a career shift to an entrepreneurial and impact-focused environment leveraging their skillsetM&E practitioners who are interested in broadening their scope and impact on the field by advising multiple organizations on state-of-the-art M&E practices
- Researchers and research management professionals in international development who enjoy working closely with practitioners and are interested in broadening their scope to all the types of data and evidence that can inform policy and practice.
- Master’s degree in a related field such as international development, economics, public policy, public health, education policy or social sciences, including significant coursework in quantitative methods. MBAs also welcome.4-8 years of experience in the development or humanitarian sectors, with experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in the development of MEL plans and tools, including sampling and questionnaire design
- Experience supervising quantitative and qualitative data collection
- Strong client facing and presentation skills, and ability to build relationships of trust with stakeholders at various levels
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally, to a variety of audiences
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and willingness to learn.
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skillsExperience working in developing countries, and preferably in Africa.Complete fluency in both English and French
Preferred additional qualifications
- Experience working on research or MEL on programs relating to Early Childhood Development and/or Basic EducationExperience working with government stakeholders
- Experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of MEL (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Understanding of causal inference and RCTs
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others on MEL methodologies data analysis or statistics