Policy Associate - J-PAL Southeast Asia
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEB UI), seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Policy Associate to be based in Jakarta, but field visits to other regions may be required. The Policy Associate will provide dedicated support by writing communications and policy outreach materials, preparing the material needed by the board of directors to engage strategically at speaking engagements and meetings, providing support to conduct internal office M&E as well as fundraising, and conducting and organizing desk research from a variety of inputs. As such, the position requires a highly flexible, self-motivating individual with strong writing skills. The ideal candidate is very well-organized, quick to learn and adapt, willing to put in long hours, and has previous experience or training in international development (required) and economics (highly preferred). This is a unique opportunity to work directly with senior leadership at J-PAL, interact directly with high-level external stakeholders, co-author articles in high-profile publications, and get a ring-side view of strategic planning and leadership at an innovative and growing organization.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Assist the conduct of background research and exploratory studies on various socio-economic topics;Liaison with implementing partners and Principal Investigator (PI)s;
- Assist in organizing field visits and meetings with partners.Communications and DisseminationBecoming the point of contact for stakeholders of J-PAL SEA office, including government agencies, NGOs, donors, and other related partners;
- Coordinate with other J-PAL SEA’s staffs in hosting potential seminars, workshops, and training as a part of policy outreach and evidence dissemination;Write materials that “translate” economic research and other J-PAL messages into policy outreach and communications, including reports, articles, op-eds, blogs, and evaluation summaries.M&E
- Assist in monitoring the influence of J-PAL SEA studies towards policymaking;
- Coordinate with other J-PAL SEA’s staffs in keeping track of the existing M&E tools and provide input for improvement;
- Assist in writing donor reports, utilizing the materials gathered from the internal M&E system. Qualifications: The ideal candidate should have strong writing and communication skills, ability to remain highly organized despite ambiguity, interest in working with the senior management of J-PAL SEA, and passion for international development make you an ideal candidate for the Policy Associate.
- Education: Master degree with a strong academic record, preferably in economy, public policy, development, or a related field;
- This position requires a minimum of 1-2 years of relevant experience in engaging and building partnership with multiple stakeholders, additionally in project management;
- Knowledge: Ability to understand the policy landscape, interests, and room for policy influence and clearly convey the value of J-PAL SEA’s research, training, and policy work in clear, concise, and powerful language;
- Technical skills: Strong and error-free writing skills are a must. You are detail-oriented, with the ability to organize information clearly and concisely without significant guidance. You are precise, clear, and creative.
- You are comfortable working in or learning computer applications, including Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and Salesforce;
- Communication: Thoughtful, clear, and concise communicator. The candidates should be comfortable engaging with senior leadership and providing direct upward feedback. Able to adapt your communication style to suit different audiences to ensure your intentions and messages come across clearly;
- Organization: A strategic thinker, able to handle multiple projects at once, meet deadlines, and effectively manage your time, have a clear and strong vision and appreciation for how the work improves the ED’s productivity and thereby contributes to the productivity of the organization itself;
- Willingness to travel: This position requires travel to meet with senior policymakers in governments, NGOs, foundations, and international development organizations;Language skills: High-level of proficiency (fluent or native) in English and Indonesia;Working permit: Indonesian citizenship or already have a working visa to work in Indonesia;
- Commitment: The ideal candidate will be able to stay at J-PAL for at least two years. Preferred
- Qualifications: Experience in conducting data analysis (STATA, R, Phyton);
- Academic research experience;
- Familiarity with experimental research design and data collection method;Familiarity with M&E-related tasks;
- Interest in pursuing a Doctorate degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields preferred
- Note on Work Authorization: You must have work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise).
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before September 30, 2021 to [email protected] following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Policy Associate”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, your academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA on RCTs and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.