Policy Manager, Employment Lab, Morocco - J-PAL MENA
- Other advanced degree
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School and the Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) seek a qualified Policy Manager to set up and coordinate the activities of the Morocco Employment Lab. The objective of the Employment Lab is to support the creation of a culture of evidence through impact evaluations and capacity building, to strengthen existing labor market programs and improve the effectiveness of future programs and policies in Morocco.
The position offers an opportunity for the Policy Manager to connect the dots between economics and policy by working with organizations to inform development policy and play a key role in developing the relations between the Employment Lab and its key partners in Morocco. The Policy Manager will be involved in a set of activities, from the development of evaluation projects with Moroccan stakeholders, to the sharing of evidence with large audiences and coordinating multi-layered training activities. The Policy Manager will be in close coordination with a number of employment stakeholders such as the Ministry of Labor and Professional Integration, ONDH, ANAPEC, OFPPT and active NGOs.
The role provides a unique opportunity to build on existing management experience, and to develop organizational structures and systems for growing programs, while also being involved in coordinating cutting-edge research, policy advocacy and capacity building activities.
The Deputy Director will report directly to the Employment Lab Director, and will also work closely with senior staff from J-PAL and EPoD, academic researchers and other field staff. The Employment Lab scientific directors are Bruno Crépon (ENSAE) and Rema Hanna (Harvard). This position is located in Rabat, Morocco.
Your work requires a breadth of knowledge and a depth of understanding to support the Employment Lab work in Morocco. As a Policy Manager, your primary tasks will involve partnership development, evidence dissemination and communication.
Support engagements with policymakers and Employment Lab activities
- Contribute to the preparation of policy and training events targeted towards policymakers
- Coordinate training activities together with training staff from J-PAL and EPoD as well as senior instructors
- Contribute to the development of new research projects together with labour market implementing partners in Morocco
Write research and background notes on specific policy issues drawing on datasets and existing research
- Disseminate research findings to stakeholders with clear, accurate, and non-technical language
- Work with partners to support the scale-up of evidence-informed policies
- Coordinate research seminars in Morocco involving international researchers
- Identify venues to expand further the work of the Employment Lab
- Other duties as assigned
- Support communication on the Employment Lab’s work
- Set up the communication strategy for the Employment Lab
- Draft and coordinate communication with a range of Moroccan stakeholders
- Draft policy insight drawing insights from research conducted in Morocco
- Build and maintain relationships with key partners in governments, NGOs, foundations, and multilateral aid agencies in Morocco.
- A Master's Degree in economics, public policy, international development, or other related fields strongly preferred.
- Graduate-level coursework in economics is required.
- 5 or more years of relevant work experience is required. Experience working on impact evaluations is strong a plus.
- Experience with living in Morocco is a strong advantage.
- Prior work experience knowledge of the Morocco labour market is highly desired.
- Prior knowledge of impact evaluation methods is a strong advantage.
- Fluency in French and in English. Arabic command is a strong plus.
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely policy lessons from academic research in ways that policymakers and practitioners understand.
- Strong leadership, communication and relationship-building skills, with the ability to interact with institutional partners, academic researchers, high-level policymakers, and staff.
- Interest in encouraging evidence-based policymaking through research, training and policy engagement.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
- This position requires an involvement of two years at a minimum.
How to Apply
Please complete the Policy Center for the New South application
Once you complete your application online, please share your CV and cover letter with [email protected] following these instructions: (1) In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family) name and (2) in the email body: Copy exactly and only the following line: “Policy Manager, Employment Lab"
Candidates must be authorized to work in Morocco.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.