Policy Manager/Senior Policy Manager – Firms Sector - J-PAL South Asia
Minimum Education and Experience: Relevant Master’s degree + 4-7+ years’ full time experience
The Policy team at J-PAL South Asia (J-PAL SA) at the Institute of Financial Management and Research (IFMR) disseminates findings of J-PAL’s research; develops relationships with government, private sector, civil society, and academic stakeholders; catalyses scale-ups and replications of effective projects; and assists in conceptualizing new research projects. The team works closely with the global J-PAL office based at MIT to align the regional strategy with broader organizational objectives.
J-PAL SA seeks a Policy Manager to contribute to its mission of promoting evidence-informed policy in J-PAL’s Firms sector. J-PAL’s Firms sector focuses on understanding and relieving constraints to generate firm growth, and test the impact of these policies on employee welfare, the environment, and the broader economy. Descriptions of the programmes, key responsibilities, and other requirements for the role are as detailed below:
Support J-PAL’s Policy Team in its mission of promoting evidence-informed policy in the Firms Sector: This will entail understanding, summarizing and supporting the dissemination of J-PAL evidence in the Firms sector; coordinating and communicating with the global policy lead for the sector; and working with private sector partners, governments, civil society partners, and donors to promote the production and use of rigorous evidence in the Firms sector:
- Identify new stakeholders in the private sector development ecosystem in India; build a strategic plan to engage with partners with a view to generate new research and policy collaborations on factors affecting firm growth and productivity
- Lead networking and follow-up with relevant private and/or government partners, civil society partners, donors and media to understand their policy priorities and promote the use and production of rigorous evidence.
- Catalyse new randomized evaluation research by matching innovative projects in the region with J-PAL affiliated professors in the sector.
- Secure buy-in from governments and other organizations to launch pilots and evaluations of innovations in enterprise development.
Evidence Synthesis and Dissemination: Draft external and internal notes summarizing evidence from J-PAL evaluations related to Firms (e.g., evidence summaries, briefs, policy memos, concept notes, letters, presentations).
- Write about J-PAL’s evaluations in relevant documents with clear, accurate, and non-technical language. Analyse and contextualize research results from J-PAL’s ongoing and completed Firms sector work for evidence dissemination through customized decks, briefs, reports and op-eds.
- Represent J-PAL SA at policy-relevant events and in meetings with relevant stakeholders, to share and present evidence.
- Track policy developments in the enterprise development/private sector growth space and communicate these developments internally to the team.
- Help prepare senior management for meetings with background research and meeting notes/memos.
Stakeholder Engagement: Build and maintain relationships with key partners in private sector organisations, governments, NGOs, foundations, and multilateral aid agencies in the region.
Supporting cross-sectoral activities: Building a strategic plan linking various threads across issues pertaining to finance, labour markets, climate change, social protection, etc.
- Provide additional support to the P&T teams as needed.
1. People Management: Manage and mentor P&T Associates and/ or Sr. P&T Associates/ Managers , giving them support to perform better and prioritizing their learning and skill development.
2. Cross-vertical collaboration: Participate in cross-vertical collaboration opportunities such as providing systematic support to an ongoing research project, capacity building of internal staff, etc.
- Education: Master's degree (preferably in economics, public policy, finance/business administration, or international development). A strong technical understanding of economics and/or evaluation is necessary to ensure that J-PAL SA’s findings are translated into general policy conclusions in a way that is both simple to follow but also accurate and undistorted.
- Experience: This position requires four or more years of relevant experience in addition to a relevant Master's degree. Interest in enterprise development/private sector growth pertaining to issues such as financing for firms, cluster development policies, industrial policies, etc, will be considered favourably. Demonstrated hands-on experience working directly in or engaging with the private sector will be an added asset.
- Understanding Randomized Evaluations: Demonstrate a keen understanding of the value of randomized evaluations and their usefulness for policy decisions
Skills and Competencies
- Communication: Attention to detail and excellent writing and presentation skills for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and creativity in presentation.
- Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines;
- High level of attention to detail;
- Strong interest in international development policy, South Asia development, and/or programme evaluation as demonstrated by coursework and professional experience.
- Language: Fluency in English (written and oral)