Policy & RFE Coordinator, Nigeria - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, has developed the Right-Fit Evidence Unit aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) practices, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit provides consulting and direct services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost-effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality.
IPA is seeking a Policy & RFE Coordinator to work closely with a financial services regulator in Nigeria. Responding to demand, IPA is developing an embedded evidence lab with the regulator, putting a strong focus on equipping them to regularly use evidence to improve their decision-making, policies, and programs. This position will support these activities, reporting to a Consumer Protection Embedded Lab Manager and dotted line reporting to the Right-Fit Evidence Unit and Policy & External Relations Team.
- Support mapping of the data needs of specific departments within the regulator against the existing data available, complemented with an assessment of its qualitySupport assessment of existing datasets and indicators according to criteria of relevance, objectivity, and reliability
- Support monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) training and workshops for staff of the regulator
- Support identification of goals, crafting of theories of change and MEL plans for programsSupport implementation of data use “pilots” to generate actionable information and analysis
- Support opportunities to leverage administrative data for analysis to inform key programs and decisions
- Support the execution of “learning-by-doing” capacity building projects with staff of the regulatorProduce draft “policy reports and briefs” based on key insights generated from lab activities
- Contribute to events to disseminate lessons learned from implementation of lab activitiesSupport the design and delivery or other potential policy and RFE engagementsQualifications Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience, including experience in M&E (public sector) or organizational performance/R&D/operational research (private sector) Superior analytical and conceptual thinking skillsFamiliarity with statistics and data analysis (including advanced Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in MEL methodologies or data analysisAbility to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and willingness to learn.Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related fieldExperience in management consulting or other professional servicesExperience with programs relating to financial inclusion and/or consumer protection
- Experience working in developing countriesFamiliarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of MEL (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit, Kobo or similar survey softwareAbility to use Stata, R or similar statistical software