Predoctoral Research Associate (Field & Desk Based) – Democratic Republic of Congo, LSE/Harvard
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
We are looking for qualified applications for the position of Research Associate to work on research projects in development economics and political economy in Kananga, Democratic Republic of Congo. This is an opportunity to gain field research experience in development economics and political economy, including experience managing large-scale randomized controlled trials. You will also acquire management and analytical skills in this role. The position will require significant commitment and long hours in a poor, remote setting.
This 24-month position will first be based for 14 months in Kananga, DRC, and subsequently for 10 months at the home university of the PI, Jonathan Weigel (Assistant Professor of International Development, LSE), to whom you will principally report. You will also interface with co-PIs Nathan Nunn (Professor of Economics, Harvard), James Robinson (University Professor, University of Chicago), Sara Lowes (Assistant Professor of Economics, University of California San Diego), Augustin Bergeron (Postdoctoral Researcher, Stanford University), Gabriel Tourek (Assistant Professor of Economics, University of Pittsburgh), and other collaborators.
The Research Associate will work on several ongoing research projects, including but not limited to the following topics: (i) the effects of access to cities – via social networks and markets – on individuals’ economic behaviors and beliefs; (ii) the effects of progressive taxation on compliance, revenues, and the social contract; and (iii) the interaction between legal and fiscal capacity in weak state settings.
Responsibilities of the Research Associate:
- Managing a team of enumerators in French (field-based period)
- Working closely with local implementation partners in the government and civil society (field-based period)
- Managing the finances of the research site (field-based period)
- Preparing and managing survey instruments and other project materials (both periods)
- Cleaning, managing, and analyzing project data with Stata (both periods)
- Conducting literature reviews (desk-based period)
- Writing briefings and reports (desk-based period)
- Master’s degree in economics or a related field
- Strong quantitative skills and extensive experience with Stata (experience with ArcGIS preferred)
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in French required (native speaker or advanced fluency)
- Being detail oriented and able to work independently
- Familiarity with randomized evaluations and econometric methods
- Experience living in a developing country