Project Associate, Employment Lab, Morocco - J-PAL MENA
- Other advanced degree
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School and the Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) seek a qualified Project Associate to support the set up and the research activities of the Morocco Employment Lab. The objective of the Employment Lab is to support the creation of a culture of evidence through impact evaluations and capacity building, to strengthen existing labour market programs and improve the effectiveness of future programs and policies in Morocco.The position offers an opportunity for the project associate to first be involved in the set-up of a new economic research lab in Morocco and then gain first-hand field experience in the design of impact evaluations and in collecting data in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Employment Lab scientific directors are Bruno Crépon (ENSAE) and Rema Hanna (Harvard). This position is located in Rabat, Morocco.
The Project Associate will be supervised by the Employment Lab Director, and will also work closely with senior staff from J-PAL and EPoD, academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of research and policy tasks. Typical candidates have plans to pursue an advanced degree in economics or a related field.
- Setting up the research agenda
- Contribute to a review of labor market programs and policies in Morocco in light of the COVID-19 crisis- Engage in research project development with labor market implementing partners
- Support the preparation of policy and training events targeted towards policymakers
- Contribute to setting up the internal infrastructure for the Employment Lab
- Other duties as assigned
Strong Project Participation and Oversight:
- Propose and, as appropriate, implement innovations in the different stages of a project in coordination with Principal Investigators
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partner organizations
- Oversee and lead the field research activities, including the implementation of the evaluation, according to the research design in coordination with partners
- Liaising with field staff running the evaluations and collaborating with them including travel to research field sites- Conduct background research in conjunction with field research activities
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, refining study design and surveying instruments
- Supervise data collection and ensure the good quality of the data
- Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
Reporting and Communication:
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with Principal Investigators
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs and subject experts
- Participate in the planning and design of any Employment Lab activities with partners
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners
- Any other work assigned by Principal Investigators
- A Master's Degree in economics, public policy, mathematics, statistics or related technical fields including training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced mathematics.
- Graduate-level coursework in economics is a plus.
- Experience with living in Morocco is a strong advantage.
- Very strong quantitative, organizational, and communication skills are necessary.
- Fluency in French and in English. Arabic command is a strong plus.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Prior experience working with large data sets and programming in Stata, R, or other statistical programs is a strong asset.
- Familiarity with evaluation methods and randomized controlled trials preferred.
- This position requires an involvement of two years at a minimum.
How to Apply
Please complete the Policy Center for the New South application
Once you complete your application online, please share your CV and cover letter with [email protected] following these instructions: (1) In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family) name and (2) in the email body: Copy exactly and only the following line: “Project Associate, Employment Lab, Morocco”.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Candidates must be authorized to work in Morocco.