Project Associate- Ethiopia / Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
- Other advanced degree
Who we are: We are an advisory and research organization focused on advancing and applying behavioral science in the Global South, in pursuit of poverty alleviation. We work with organizations to build behaviorally-informed solutions to help scale their products, programs, and policies. Our rigorous approach to experimentation has generated impact in a broad range of fields from financial inclusion to health and early childhood development.
The role: Associates support both the advisory and research arms of Busara by leading the planning, execution, and day-to-day management of Busara projects. As primary project manager for all external Busara projects, an Associate quickly gains an expert understanding of a particular problem or research question and uses all tools at their disposal, both within and outside Busara to execute an engagement to the highest possible degree, with careful consideration of timing and budget.
An Associate develops creative and rigorous solutions to client and partner needs and manages both internal and external relationships with energy, enthusiasm, and professionalism. Associates directly manage other project staff that work on their project and, as well as liaise with other Busara teams and are expected to coordinate and manage staff effectively.
A Project Associate works on one specific project. In this case, the Project Associate will work on a project to improve the use of data in healthcare decision-making in Ethiopia. This project seeks to conduct new research to diagnose the barriers to the use of healthcare data for better decision-making by stakeholders at all levels of the Ethiopian healthcare system, including by frontline healthcare workers, clinics, and regional and national governments.
This is a short term 6-month project-based role with potential to extend depending on performance, project outcomes, and position availability.
- Plan, manage, and execute the assigned engagement (a project to improve the use of data in healthcare decision-making in Ethiopia) independently from start to finish with limited supervision.
- Incorporate the latest research in qualitative and quantitative methods, behavioral science, psychology, economics, and development to provide creative solutions to the assigned engagement.
- Manage and conduct qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis.
- Design, launch, and analyze effective quantitative survey instruments and qualitative research guides with coordination among project staff (Analysts, Project Leads, Data and Programming, and Operations teams).
- Serve as a point of contact for clients and partners on the assigned engagement. Effectively manage the needs of stakeholders through proactive communication and troubleshooting.
- Contribute to project on-boarding and off-boarding for knowledge management.
- Responsible for project timelines, deliverables, reports, and staffing.
- Contribute to the creation of proposals, concept notes, and pitch decks for new business opportunities and knowledge sharing. Present at conferences, networking events, or client meetings.
- Contribute to the design, execution, and dissemination of Busara internal research projects.
- Work closely to lead or support other Associates to fulfill engagement requirements.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the project supervisor.
- Work with the Associate team to conduct goal-setting exercises, objectives and key results, and team-building events when required.
- Contribute to skills-building workshops for Associate teams and with internal initiatives where necessary.
- Serve as a mentor to Analysts and Project team members, when requested.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Strong qualitative, quantitative, research, and data analytic skills.
- An understanding of the Ethiopian healthcare space.
- An understanding of data entry and visualization tools and software.
- Strong quantitative skills including knowledge of and experience working with data analysis software
- 1-3 years’ previous work experience in a related field, with experience managing large-scale research and consulting projects in Ethiopia.
- Ability to quickly understand and adapt to new contextual situations
- Demonstrates the ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Excellent management and organizational skills.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Fluency and excellent communication and writing skills with a mastery of English.
- Ability to execute projects while sustaining a global focus and vision for institutional planning and decision-making.
- Is an Ethiopian national or has existing authorization to work in Ethiopia.
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Experience managing or mentoring staff.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials and/or quasi-experimental designs
- Technical understanding of qualitative research techniques.
- Strong academic behavioral science background.
- Knowledge of the application of behavioral science to real-world problems.
- Proficiency in Stata, R, or Python.