Research Assistant based in Delhi, India - Northwestern University
Overview: Researchers Lori Beaman (Northwestern University), Anisha Sharma (Ashoka University) and Karmini Sharma (Stanford University) seek a Research Assistant based in Delhi, India. The position will offer the opportunity to gain first-hand research management experience (e.g., managing field operations, interacting with partner organizations) as well as the opportunity to undertake cutting-edge development research. This is ideal for candidates looking to apply to PhD/MPA/MPP programs in Economics/Public Policy. The RA will work closely with the PI’s in managing the field operations and communicating with partner organizations.
Project Description: The project aims to study the barriers to firms in implementing safety measures for its employees with special focus on female employees. The project involves surveys and experiments with firms and their employees in different industrial sectors in India in major cities.
Position: We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about research and fieldwork, who can work independently, who is enthusiastic, proactive and able to learn quickly in a changing environment. The candidate should have excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and good time management skills.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The RA will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks
including, but not limited to:
- Managing field work in the early stages doing qualitative survey work with firms, retailers, and
- businessmen and their employees in Delhi.
- Overseeing and monitoring other surveyors at a later stage and communicating in a timely
- manner with partner organizations.
- Assisting PIs in designing survey questionnaires and refining surveying instruments.
- Assisting in preparing funding proposals, budgets, and deliverables for various grants.
- Reporting to PIs on all of the above-mentioned activities.
- Assisting with data cleaning, preliminary data analysis, and preparation of documents and
- presentations for dissemination.
- Managing relationships with stakeholders, and ensuring timely communication of any
- challenges, observations in dealings with the partners or stakeholders.
- Managing field teams operations. This includes recruitment, training and supervision of field based
- staff as well as data operations teams.
- Extensive travel to project sites to monitor and coordinate field activities for primary data
- collection during intervention monitoring and end line survey at a later stage.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Education: Master’s degree in economics, public policy/administration, or related fields. Advanced
- coursework in economics is preferable.
- Experience: Experience in projects involving data collection and program implementation in the
- field is preferred, as demonstrated management experience in a multi-faceted role working with
- multiple stakeholders.
- Management skills: Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully
- complete tasks assigned, meet deadlines, and manage high level partnerships. A willingness to work
- hard, be self-motivated and learn will be essential for doing well in this position. Ability to work
- independently in the field and draw insights from talking to people in the field.
- Software: Microsoft Excel, Stata, SurveyCTO /digital data collection (preferred)
- Communication: This role requires the ability to produce clear, precise, non-technical writing as well
- as strong social skills to engage with multiple partners.
- Language: Strong communication skills in English and Hindi.
- Travel: Willingness to travel for extended periods of time to different parts of Delhi and other urban
- areas if required and to meet with relevant stakeholders, officials and manage projects
- Other: The candidate should be able to give and receive frank feedback, be interested in development
- and policy research, and excited to do field work.
Note on Work Authorizations:
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India.
How to Apply
To apply, email your resume to [email protected] with the subject line
“Application: Research Assistant”