Research Assistant II Non-Lab - Harvard T.H. School of Public Health
- United States of America
- Some post-secondary education
Professor Margaret McConnell, in the Department of Global Health and Population at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, is looking to hire a skilled and motivated individual for full time research assistance on projects in the areas of maternal and child health. The primary focus of this position is to perform data analysis and management for an evaluation of home visiting services for first-time low-income mothers in South Carolina. Responsibilities include assistance with all stages of empirical research in health economics; working with data sets, cleaning and running checks to spot errors, and generally preparing and performing data analysis; assisting with literature reviews; institutional review board applications; communicating with research partners about data requests and analysis; and the preparation of academic papers.
Additional duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Monitor the data management system; ensure proper downloading of survey and program data; oversee and implement data quality checks
- Develop new cleaning and quality check protocols for new sources of administrative data
- Obtain administrative data via probabilistic matches and conduct quality checks of each probabilistic match
Support development of analytical plans:
- Perform analysis of program implementation for the Nurse Family Partnership (NFP) project
- Perform literature reviews, conduct exploratory analysis, and contribute to the construction of study outcomes for academic publication
Support study management:
- Work with data providers to acquire and understand new data sourcesWork with the providers of NFP program data to resolve data integrity issues
Support writing of academic manuscripts:
- Develop and peer review code to measure program effects
- Construction of manuscript tables
- Aid in submission of manuscripts to journals for publication
The Research Assistant II Non-Lab will also perform other duties as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: This position has a term end date of two years from date of hire, with the possibility for extension.
PLEASE NOTE: Shortlisted candidates may be required to complete a data assessment.
- 2+ years of related work experience required; a combination of education and experience may be considered
- PLEASE NOTE: Shortlisted candidates may be required to complete a data assessment.
- Bachelor's degree preferredBackground in economics and randomized evaluations a plus, but not necessary (candidates with strong technical backgrounds who are looking for more exposure to economics are welcome and encouraged to apply)
- Prior research assistant experience strongly preferred
- Strong quantitative background preferredStrong computer skills preferred
- Strong programming skills preferredExperience in Stata preferredExperience with one or more of R, Python or Julia preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills preferred
- Experience working independently preferred