Research Associate, Bangladesh - IPA
Governments and educational organizations worldwide are trying to quickly adapt to the unprecedented circumstances created by the pandemic, by developing or scaling up distance education modalities to continue delivering educational content to students and maintain students’ connection to formal education. However, the effectiveness of these tools is largely unknown. Some challenges with remote learning such as inequalities of learning environments at home and reduced social interactions are not well understood.
In our engagement with the Ministry of Education in Bangladesh, we will evaluate their remote learning initiatives for secondary education, combined with some engagement interventions to study the impacts on student learning, enrolment, exam taking and pass rates, and social learning effects, etc.
Innovations for Poverty Action Bangladesh (IPA-B) seeks to appoint a Research Associate to support the implementation of this evaluation. The Research Associate will help manage multiple modalities of primary data collection while also engaging with the partner and donor organisations. The successful candidate will work closely with young, leading researchers, enabling learning on multiple fronts.
We are looking for a minimum, full-time commitment period of 6 months (July 2020 – December 2020) for this position with a possibility for a longer-term position for exceptional candidates. The candidate can work remotely, though project partners and most field staff will be based in Dhaka.
- Working closely with PIs and field team to maintain integrity of the research design, and communicate any issues early and clearly with PI-team to joint problem solve.
- Managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. This includes training, and supervising both field-based and data operations teams
- Refining survey questionnaires and programming them on SurveyCTO
- Training, and managing field teams in collaboration with the project’s Field Manager.
- Supervising data collection and data-entry processes, and ensuring good quality of the data at both stages
- Assisting in data cleaning and preliminary analysis and ensuring ready access to all data for faculty researchers and/or supervisors
- Providing timely updates and responses to partner organizations, and participating in meetings with key stakeholders. Monitoring project expenditures and timeline. Ensuring that all team members follow necessary protocols and procedures
- Maintaining accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Monitoring fieldwork expenditures and compliance with timelines
- Supporting the preparation of progress and results reports to PIs, research partners, and funding agencies, and sharing them timely
- Documenting all activities related to the project
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, global health, or other quantitative social science disciplines, including psychology, human development, education, evaluation, international development (Master’s degree preferred)
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of experimental and quasi-experimental evaluation methods. Demonstrated proficiency in Stata/R and SurveyCTO, and experience with data management, data cleaning, and regression analysis
- A minimum of 1-year of work experience is desirable although not required. Experience managing field staff in developing countries strongly preferred
- Project Management Skills: attention to detail; excellent management and organizational skills; flexible, self-motivating, able to work independently; ability to juggle several tasks; ability to successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines; ability to communicate deviations from project plans and timelines and take appropriate action are required
- Communication Skills: Advanced writing and presentation skills are required
- Language: English fluency (written and spoken) required; Bangla, strongly preferred but not required; Bangladeshi nationals are strongly encouraged to apply