Research Associate, Burkina Faso - IPA
- Burkina Faso
As an immediate consequence of its fast-growing portfolio of long and short terms impact evaluation projects in Burkina faso, IPA seeks a highly motivated, solid and qualified individual with outstanding research and impact evaluation project management, data analysis and communication skills as Research Associate (RA) to oversee a portfolio of two to three research projects with small to medium grant per year, working closely with several Principal Investigators (PIs) and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running extensive piloting exercises, refining surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data.
IPA portfolio in Burkina Faso covers various sectors including education, financial inclusion and agriculture and may include other sectors depending on IPA evolving vision. The Research Associate leads Field Managers in the implementation at field technical level of impact evaluation activities using Randomized Control Trial (RCT).
The Research Associate will contribute through engagement at data collection level to strengthening the competitiveness of IPA in the creation, strategic sharing and use of strong evidences to constructively influence policies and programs that aim at alleviating poverty in Burkina faso.
This Research Associate position offer a unique opportunity to gain in-depth research experience through multisector studies with visible outcomes that have an obvious policy impact in near future. The role is perfect for a candidate who wants to build a great deal of world class research technical expertise working with world class researchers from highly prestigious universities and want to impact development processes.
The position will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso but may be asked to act as Roving Research Associate as requested by the line manager for projects in other countries but managed from Burkina Faso.
Working closely with IPA Research Coordinator and Research Manager, the RA contributes to coordinating high quality data collection using moderns approaches and technologies in partnerships with national, regional and global academic researchers, policymakers, and staff implementing research on the ground. He / She will join the dynamic and committed IPA Burkina Faso team and contribute to the successful implementation of research projects, development of new projects and capacity building of team members. He will also contribute to developing and fostering good relationships with local stakeholders and implementing partners. He /She will work with several PIs and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running extensive piloting exercises, refining surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data.
In particular, the Research Associate will:
- Implement Computer Assisted Interviewing (CAI) for surveys using SurveyCTO and STATA;
- Develop and pilot survey instruments; manage translation into local languages;
- Lead field team training and prepare high quality training materials;
- Manage data entry and assure smoothness of daily data quality checks;
- Ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits;
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor; and
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Onboarding internships or junior research associate
- At least 2-3 years of fieldwork management experience. This includes training and managing large teams in the context of large data collections.
- A Master's degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields;
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills;
- Working experience with two or more developing countries is a strong plus;
- Technical influencing abilities
- Fluency in English with strong communication skills;
- High level of STATA knowledge;
- Strong SurveyCTO skills;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred;
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.