Research Associate, Colombia - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a qualified Research Associate based in Medellín, Colombia to assist the evaluation of a tablet-based app addressing financial inclusion and Intimate Partner Violence prevention (IPV). The project involves a scaling and replication component associated to the financial inclusion content of the app along with innovative IPV prevention tools testing. Targeting cash transfers to male and female recipients, the research project aims to further test the effects of decentralized learning tools across different measures of financial knowledge and performance. In addition, the focus and particularities of such transfers and interventions is likely to alter intra-household bargaining with unclear consequences over IPV; the intervention's addresses and integrates this problematic into the research project.
Our projects bring together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine solutions to improve the lives of the world’s poor. The selected candidate will work closely with the research team, principal investigators, and the partners implementing the intervention (Comfama and Fundación Capital). The team of principal investigators for the study is comprised of Matthew Bird (Universidad del Pacífico), Lina Cardona (Institute for Fiscal Studies), Pablo Lavado (Universidad del Pacífico) y Orazio Attanasio (Yale University).
Key areas of involvement will include coordinating and collaborating with the research team, designing survey questionnaires, recruiting, training and managing survey teams, cleaning and analyzing survey and administrative data, and assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos. This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain extensive hands‐on field research experience and significant management responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research.
- Manage and coordinate day-to-day relations with project’s key stakeholders ensuring relevant and timely communication.
- Monitor the implementation of field work;
- Ensure compliance with the data quality protocol;
- Work with PIs, IPA staff in Colombia and implementing partners to analyze the data and interpret the findings;
- Support the development of reports and presentations for different audiences in English and Spanish;
- Support the design of survey questionnaires;
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields;
- At least 2 years of work experience, preferably in a research setting and data analysis;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently;
- Experience in supervising survey teams or field staff.
- Fluency and excellent writing skills in both Spanish and English.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including ability to effectively communicate;
- Strong quantitative skills and very good knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus;
- Capability to manage multiple tasks efficiently;
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service;
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the "Research" job category, then select "Research Associate, Colombia” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.