Research Associate, Colombia
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a qualified Research Associate based in Bogotá, Colombia, to support the office’s research projects. Our projects bring together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine solutions to improve the lives of the world’s poor. The Research Associate will work closely with the research manager, principal investigators, and implementing partners. This position is contingent upon project approval and donor funding.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain extensive hands‐on field research experience and significant management responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research as well as the opportunity to work in close collaboration with high-level partners. Key areas of involvement will include: coordinating and collaborating with implementing partners and the PI team, designing survey questionnaires, recruiting, training and managing survey teams, designing and supervising logistics for the field activities, cleaning and analyzing survey data, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and liaising with key government stakeholders. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
- Coordinating and managing project partners throughout the design and implementation of the study,
- Designing and implementing data quality assurance systems and protocols to ensure high-quality data collection;
- Designing and implementing monitoring systems to ensure intervention program take-up and compliance;
- Working with the research team, IPA staff in Colombia and in the United States to analyze the data and interpret the findings;
- Supporting in writing progress reports and policy-focused outputs;
- Managing the budget including tracking all expenses to ensure costs are within project funds.
- Hiring, training, and managing the field teams that will conduct the data collections.
- Translating material for the intervention, such as survey instruments, presentations, and the teaching material/curriculum used in the actual implementation.
- A Bachelor’s or Master´s degree in economics, public policy, international development, or related fields;
- At least 2 years of work experience, preferably in a research setting and data analysis;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail; ability to work independently;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including ability to effectively communicate;
- Strong quantitative skills and very good knowledge of Stata required; programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus;
- Willingness to frequently travel within Colombia;
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with partner organizations;
- Capability to manage multiple tasks efficiently;
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service;
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices