Research Associate, Cox’s Bazar Panel Survey - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action Bangladesh (IPA-B) seeks to appoint a Research Associate to support the implementation of a longitudinal study in Southern Bangladesh. The goal of the project is to build an evidence base on how local economies respond to an influx of forcibly displaced migrants. The study will collect a detailed panel dataset of social, economic, and health outcomes from 5,000 households representative of Cox’s Bazar, the primary destination for many waves of refugees, including the most recent. The Research Associate will join a suite of projects led by Yale University Professor of Economics Mushfiq Mobarak, as well as other scholars doing empirical research at top-tier academic and policy institutions.
The successful candidate will work closely with lead academics and researchers from Yale University, the Gender and Adolescence: Global Evidence initiative, and the World Bank on all activities, thus paving the way for future careers in academic, private-sector, or public-sector roles.
We are looking for a minimum commitment period of two years for this position with a possibility for a longer-term position for exceptional candidates. The candidate will be primarily based in Dhaka, with travel to Cox’s Bazar to oversee fieldwork.
- Managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. This includes training, and supervising both field-based and data operations teams.
- Documenting all activities related to the project
- Refining survey questionnaires and programming them on SurveyCTO
- Supervising data collection and data-entry processes, and ensuring good quality of the data at both stages
- Assisting in data cleaning and preliminary analysis and ensuring ready access to all data for faculty researchers and/or supervisors
- Providing timely updates and responses to partner organizations, and participating in meetings with key stakeholders
- Maintaining accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Preparing progress and results reports to PIs, research partners, and funding agencies, and sharing them timely
- Monitoring project expenditures and timeline
- Ensuring that all team members follow necessary protocols and procedures
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, or other quantitative social science disciplines (Master’s degree preferred)
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of economics and econometrics required. Demonstrated proficiency in Stata/R/ and SurveyCTO, and experience with data management, data cleaning, and regression analysis
- A minimum of 1-year of work experience is required. Experience managing field staff in developing countries strongly preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills; ability to successfully completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines, required
- Communication Skills: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills are required
- Language: English fluency required; Chittagonian a plus
- Bangladeshi nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate, Cox’s Bazar Panel Survey ”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Given the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.