Research Associate - DDU GKY, Bihar - J-PAL South Asia
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) J-PAL was established in 2003 as a research center at the Economics Department at MIT. Since then, it has grown into a global network of researchers who use randomized evaluations to answer critical policy questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL is propelled by a first-rate team dedicated to research, policy, training, and other vital work, supporting J-PAL's mission to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence.
J-PAL South Asia, which is based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) in India, analyses and disseminates research results and builds partnerships with policymakers to ensure that policy is driven by evidence, and that programs proven effective are scaled up. We have a growing number of partnerships in Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
The project studies new ways to enrol and screen trainees for the DDU-GKY program (Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana), a training and placement program targeted at the rural poor. The project is in collaboration with Bihar Rural Livelihood promotion Society (BRLPS/JEEVIKA) and private training providers in Bihar.
We are looking for a highly motivated research associate or research consultant to work on a RCT undertaken by Wiji Arulampalam, Bhaskar Chakravorty, Clement Imbert and Roland Rathelot (Warwick). The projects studies how to reduce dropout, improve job uptake and job retention post training.
The job would be based in Patna (Bihar). The RA will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to:
- Managing the project as per Project Implementation Plan.
- Managing, coordinating and monitoring the field team.
- Liaising with government stakeholders and training organizations.
- Reporting to the research team from Warwick University.
- Undertaking other activities needed for the smooth implementation of the project.
- A Bachelor's/Master's degree that includes courses in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, Development studies, or Related Fields
- Knowledge of Hindi is must.
- Familiarity with Randomized Controlled Trials preferred
- Ability to deal with unstructured and changing environments
- Ability to work in rural field locations
- Ability to work and communicate in a small team
- Minimum commitment of three month is required starting from July 2019
- Prior experience of working with J-PAL or similar organization is a plus
- Thoroughness and meticulousness are appreciated
Note on Work Authorizations: Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan, and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI).
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select "Research Associate - DDU GKY, Bihar - J-PAL South Asia” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.