Research Associate- Delhi Air Pollution- J-PAL South Asia
Education: Bachelor's or Master's
Start Date (Earliest): June 2023
Length of Commitment: One year (extendable to 2)
About the Organization
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 194 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 193 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
In this study, we will experimentally investigate whether low environmental quality can be explained by low private demand leading to a muted political response. The project will elicit the private willingness to pay for clean air and the public willingness to participate in civic actions for better air quality in Delhi, India through a novel app that is being designed specifically for the study. We will also assess how information treatments affect these measures and if they increase support for environmental safeguards.
A Field Research Associate works closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercise, refining study design and surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with local partners running the programs being evaluated. Since this study will primarily collect data through an app, the RA will coordinate closely with the app developers and will have to become familiar with pulling data from the app’s back-end processes and cleaning it for analyses.
This position may lead to a growing research career within J-PAL or similar organizations, but can also be a great launching point for graduate study in economics, public policy, and related fields.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields. Training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced math required.
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus.
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred, ODK/Survey CTO Platform (strongly preferred).
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.