Research Associate - Emissions Trading Scheme, Gujarat - J-PAL South Asia
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) seeks qualified applicants for positions as Research Associates for projects on agriculture, education, environment, finance, health, labor, and governance in locations around the world. The projects study a variety of topics within the previously listed fields. The positions offer an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. These positions are located primarily in developing countries around the world and the principal investigators are J-PAL affiliated professors.
Project Description: The Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) project is a collaborative exercise between the Central Pollution Control Board, Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change, State Pollution Control Boards of Gujarat, J-PAL South Asia at IFMR and EPIC-India to implement and evaluate a pilot ETS for particulate matter in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand research experience, including field operations and interaction with Centre and State officials, in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. This research team is headed by Prof. Michael Greenstone (UChicago), Prof. Rohini Pande (Kennedy School of Government, Harvard), Dr. Nicholas Ryan (Yale University), and Dr. Anant Sudarshan (Executive Director, EPIC).
Research Associate Roles and Responsibilities: The RA will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Overseeing implementation of the evaluation in accordance with the research design, in association with our partner organization.
- Maintaining relationships with partner organizations at both headquarters and field levels
- Supervising data collection and data-entry and ensuring data quality and productivity
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercise, refining study design, and surveying instruments.
- Managing field teams: Recruit, train, and supervise both field-based and data operations teams consisting of project assistants, field managers, field-based surveyors, data entry operators, and other field and office staff.
- Assisting with data cleaning, preliminary data analysis, and preparation of documents and presentations for dissemination.
- Reporting to PIs and supervisor on all of the above-mentioned activities.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics (or related field) or Engineering
- At least 1 year of work experience
- Prior experience with field data collection is desired but not necessary
- Familiarity with impact evaluations and randomized controlled trials is required
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills Fluency in Hindi and English and strong communication skills are required.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Willingness to live in Gujarat and travel extensively to study area
- Basic knowledge of STATA or other data analysis tool
- Master’s degree in economics, engineering or related disciplines is preferred
- Experience living in a developing country and/or liaising with government officials is a strongly desired but not necessary
- Proficiency in STATA (or other tools such as R, SPSS etc.) is desired
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- We are looking for a commitment period of 14 months for this position.
Note on Work Authorizations: Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan, Persons of Indian origin (PIO), and an Overseas Citizens of India (OCI).
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select "Research Associate - Emissions Trading Scheme, Gujarat - J-PAL South Asia” and include a resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.