Research Associate, Field-Based - EPoD India at IFMR
EPoD India at IFMR, in collaboration with Yale University’s Economic Growth Centre and MacMillan Center, work together to use economic frameworks and analytical tools to answer pressing policy questions and spur real-world change. We partner with policymakers to understand challenges to achieving policy objectives, design and test interventions, and share applicable insights from economic theory and empirics to more effectively deliver public services and improve the well-being of vulnerable groups. Current areas of research include gender and economic engagement (labor markets, technology, and financial inclusion); environmental policy, and governance.
In partnership with our host institution, IFMR LEAD at KREA University, we are hiring a Research Associate, to support a portfolio of several field-based research projects in India. The Research Associate will provide field support and oversight for these projects from one of our field offices.
This position requires a self-starting candidate who can conduct in-depth interviews and scoping activities with government counterparts, manage field activities and coordinate field staff for the execution of surveys and RCTs, and support with high quality cleaning and rigorous analysis of both primary and secondary data. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from Yale University and EPoD India at IFMR to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting for the project
- Assist in the design and field-testing of survey instruments and develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners
- Seek out and collect administrative data from policy partners and government agencies
- Conduct data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using multiple primary and secondary data sources for several EPoD-affiliated policy research projects
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Contribute to analysis and writing of policy briefs for various government partners and case studies on EPoD project
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for EPoD and IFMR in India and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub at Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Yale
- Others, as required
- Bachelor's candidates with at least 2 years of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field
- Field experience is a plus
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills and proficiency in Stata and the Microsoft Office suite
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
- Master's degree in economics or related field and experience in Stata is highly desired
- Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners of various levels
This position will be based in any of the field offices (in state capitals) in India, with regular travel expected.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please email [email protected]. In the subject line, put “Research Associate – Field-Based” followed by your first and last name (e.g., “XXX – Jane Doe) and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter (one page max)
- CV (two pages max)
- Academic transcripts from all degrees received
To visit other open positions, please visit the MacMillan Center’s employment website.