Research Associate - Improving Insurance Effectiveness - J-PAL South Asia
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research centre working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 194 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in
India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 193 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
About the position:
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate
to lead impact evaluations in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Research Associate will join a team of world class researchers from leading universities in the world and will gain first-hand experience implementing randomized control trials in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. Read more about our work and projects here.
Project Specific Details
This project will examine ways to improve the effectiveness of Tamil Nadu’s health insurance schemes.
Although coverage is near universal among eligible (lower-income) households, not all eligible households are enrolled; many enrolled do not know how to use their benefits; and those that use their benefits may pay for low-quality care that should be free. The project will systematically examine barriers to effective use of the scheme and investigate
ways of adapting existing effective interventions to resolve them. This will include in-person and phone interviews with households, particularly in vulnerable communities (such as slum and tribal populations), as well as an intervention study (trial) with enrolled
Research Associates work closely with Research Managers & Principal Investigators who guide and supervise them in their various tasks.
Research Associates work closely with academic researchers
and other field staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to:
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative
- research, running pilot exercises, refining study design and survey instruments
- Managing teams: Recruit, train, and supervise both field-based and data operations teams consisting of project assistants, field managers, field-based surveyors, data entry operators and other field and office staff
- Supervising data collection and data entry to ensure good data quality during both these phases
- Co-ordinating with the Administrative and Finance team on a variety of tasks related to field staff contracting and payments
- Overseeing the implementation of the evaluation in accordance to the research design in association with our partner organization
- Ensuring that the project complies with IRB and JPAL data collection and security protocols with the help of the Research Manager
- Maintaining relationship with partner organizations at both headquarters and field levels
- Assisting with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
- Assisting in preparation of documents and presentations for donor reporting as well as dissemination activities
- Reporting to PIs on all of the above mentioned activities
- Any other task as assigned by the Research Manager, AD Research or ED
- A Bachelor's/Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, education or related fields
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus
- Previous experience in development research preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Fluency in Tamil is strongly preferred.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials/clinical trials/quasi-experiments preferred
- Ability to deal with unstructured and changing environments
- Ability to work independently and in rural field locations
Note on Work Authorizations:
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select "Research Associate Improving Insurance Effectiveness J-PAL South Asia” and include a resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.