Research Associate - J-PAL South Asia (Orissa Labour Market Project)
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate for Orissa Labor Market project. The position offers an opportunity to gain first- hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
J-PAL's Research Associates supervise one or more research projects in the field on behalf of Principal Investigators (PIs) from world-class universities, working in research areas such as Agriculture, Education, Environment & Energy, Finance & Microfinance, Political Economy & Governance, Health, Labour Markets and Gender. Research Associates can either be based in rural areas or in one of JPAL SA main offices in Delhi, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Bhubaneshwar, Jaipur and Patna depending on the location of their project(s).
Research Associates also work in close relationship with a Research Manager who guides and supervises them in their various tasks.
In labour markets in developing countries, unemployment is high and wage setting often does not follow the predictions of standard economic theory. This project will explore hypotheses related to why wages look the way they do in labour markets. We will specifically be interested in the role of fairness norms in determining workers’ effort decisions and willingness to work.
Research Associates work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to:
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercise, refining study design and survey instruments
- Managing teams: Recruit, train, and supervise both field-based and data operations teams consisting of project assistants, field managers, field-based surveyors, data entry operators and other field and office staff
- Oversee the implementation of the evaluation in accordance to the research design in association with our partner organization
- Ensure that the project complies with IRB and JPAL data collection and security protocols with the help of the Research Manager
- Maintain relationship with partner organizations at both headquarters and field levels
- Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
- Assist in preparation of documents and presentations for donor reporting as well as dissemination activities
- Report to PIs on all of the above mentioned activities
- Any other task as assigned by the Research Manager, AD Research or ED
- Supervise data collection and data-entry to ensure good data quality during both these phases
- Co-ordinate with the Administrative and Finance team on a variety of tasks related to field staff contracting and payments
- A Bachelor's/Master's degree that includes courses in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus
- Previous experience in development research preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Fluency in regional language of the project is preferred
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work as a team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Ability to deal with unstructured and changing environments
- Ability to work independently and in rural field locations
The period of commitment for these positions will vary from project to project.
Note on Work Authorizations: Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan, Person of Indian Origin (PIO), and an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA Common Application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Research Associate - J-PAL South Asia (Orissa Labour Market Project)”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters. However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Additionally, please submit the following documents Arnesh Chowdhary (arnesh.chowdhury
In the subject line: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
In the email body: Copy exactly the following position line:
J-PAL South Asia, Research Associate, Orissa Labour Market Project
Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview