Research Associate - Migration and Technology - J-PAL South Asia
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Research Associate to lead impact evaluations in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in implementing Randomized Control Trials with a team of world-class researchers from leading universities in the world at an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The position will be based out of Bangalore, India with frequent travel to the field.
Research Associates work in close relationship with the Principal Investigators who guide and supervise them in their various tasks.
About the Project
The proposed study is a randomized control trial experiment that explores labor market interactions in the online job recruitment space. The study aims to understand how recruitment frictions for small firms in urban labor markets may restrict firm growth and performance and how technological solutions can be mobilized to overcome these frictions. We are currently at the baseline phase and working with an implementation partner for the project. The next phase of the project will involve further rounds of follow up surveys with employers as well as job seekers utilizing the partner organization’s online platform.
The Principal Investigators on the project are Dr. Nilesh Fernando (University of Notre Dame), Gabriel Tourek (Harvard University), Niharika Singh (Harvard University).
The Research Associate will work closely with the Principal Investigators and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercises, and refining survey instruments
- Assisting the PIs with designing interventions, conducting pilots and refining the study design
- Maintaining a relationship with the partner organization at both headquarters and field levels
- Managing teams including recruiting, training, and supervising both field-based and data operations teams consisting of project assistants, field managers, field-based surveyors, data entry operators, and other field and office staff
- Supervising data collection and data entry to ensure good data quality during both these phases
- Coordinating with the Administrative and Finance team on a variety of tasks related to field staff contracting and payments
- Overseeing the implementation of the evaluation in accordance with the research design in association with our partner organization
- Ensuring that the project complies with IRB and JPAL data collection and security protocols with the help of the Research Manager
- Assisting with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
- Assisting in preparation of documents and presentations for donor reporting as well as dissemination activities
- Reporting to PIs on all of the above-mentioned activities
- Any other task as assigned by the Principal Investigators, Associate Director of Research or the Executive Director at J-PAL SA
- A Bachelor's/Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus
- Previous experience in development research preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Some conversational-level skills in Kannada & Hindi
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Knowledge of STATA (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Ability to deal with unstructured and changing environments
- Ability to work independently and in urban field locations
Note on Work Authorizations: Candidates must have work authorization to work in India.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select "Research Associate - Migration and Technology - J-PAL South Asia" and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.