Research Associate, Mobile Money Markets - IPA
Innovations for Poverty Action Bangladesh (IPA-B) seeks to appoint a Research Associate to support a study of women’s participation in mobile money markets in Bangladesh. The goals of the study include understanding female labor force participation in the market for mobile money agents and the effects of access to female agents on female customers’ use of mobile money. The Research Associate will help manage large survey teams working in urban and rural areas, and will be the primary contact for partner organizations including a mobile money provider and a large microfinance organization. The project is led by PIs Xavier Gine (World Bank), Jessica Goldberg (University of Maryland) and Lore Vandewalle (The Graduate Institute, Geneva).
The successful candidate will work closely with leading academics and researchers, thus paving the way for future careers in academic, private-sector, or public-sector roles.
We are looking for a minimum commitment period of one year for this position with a possibility for a longer-term position for exceptional candidates. The candidate will be primarily based in Dhaka, with travel outside Dhaka as necessary.
- Managing day-to-day research activities, from planning to implementation, and monitoring quality. This includes training, and supervising both field-based and data operations teams
- Documenting all activities related to the project
- Refining survey questionnaires and programming them on SurveyCTO
- Supervising data collection and data-entry processes, and ensuring good quality of the data at both stages
- Assisting in data cleaning and preliminary analysis and ensuring ready access to all data for faculty researchers and/or supervisors
- Providing timely updates and responses to partner organizations, and participating in meetings with key stakeholders
- Maintaining accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Preparing progress and results reports to PIs, research partners, and funding agencies, and sharing them timely
- Monitoring project expenditures and timeline
- Ensuring that all team members follow necessary protocols and procedures
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, or other quantitative social science disciplines (Master’s degree preferred)
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of economics and econometrics required. Demonstrated proficiency in Stata/R and SurveyCTO, and experience with data management, data cleaning, and regression analysis
- A minimum of 1-year of work experience is desirable although not required. Experience managing field staff in developing countries strongly preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills; ability to successfully completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines, required
- Communication Skills: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills are required
- Language: English fluency required; Bangla a plus
- Bangladeshi nationals are strongly encouraged to apply