Research Associate - Other
Prof. Michela Carlana (Harvard), Prof. Raissa Fabregas (UT Austin) and Prof. Diana Moreira (UC Davis) are looking to hire a part-time Research Associate based in Brazil. The RA would lead and coordinate a field experiment (an RCT) in Brazil. The project intends to evaluate the effectiveness of an intervention aimed at tackling the underrepresentation of minorities in math-intensive jobs and careers. The position would be a very good fit for anyone looking to be exposed to cutting-edge economics research, preparing to apply to PhD programs, or with an interest in applied microeconomics.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and coordinate field research activities
- Conduct statistical analysis using Stata -- on this and other projects
- Manage team: recruit, train and supervise research assistants, field researchers
- Communicate with partner organization
- Directly report to and work together with PIs on all of the above-mentioned activities
Desired qualifications and Experience:
- An ongoing or completed master’s degree in economics (or related field with quantitative emphasis)
- Excellent academic record
- Knowledge of Stata (required) and Latex (required) and familiarity with randomized control trials
- Strong organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Fluency in English (required) and Portuguese (required).
- The candidate is expected to live in Brazil for the period, but this can be negotiated.
- Candidate should be Brazilian or have a work permit to work in Brazil.
How to Apply
- Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. Select the position “Research Associate” on the final “Submit” page. A. Cover letter (should include: your statement of purpose, and the contact of two references and two lines describing your professional relationship with your reference). There is no need to submit any recommendation letters, we will reach out to the reference if needed, B. CV, and C. transcripts.
- Send an email to [email protected], cc’ing [email protected] and [email protected] with your CV and cover letter following these instructions exactly:
- In the subject line: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your CV and cover letter. Cover letter must follow a precise structure:
- Start with a sentence or two with information of when the candidate would be able to start, and until when the candidate can commit to work for this project. Also, clarify time availability during this period. Example: I can commit to work 30 hours a week.
- Followed by the contact of two references and one or two sentences describing your professional relationship with your reference. There is no need to send letter of recommendation.
- Followed by your statement of purposes.
- Cover letter should be around 2 pages and at most 3 pages.
- In the email body: Copy exactly the following position line: Research Associate – CFM - Brazil Project
- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.