Research Associate - Paris area, CREST
J-PAL affiliate Pr. Bruno Crépon is hiring a Research Associate - CREST for the following research projects.
The research assistant will participate in randomized controlled trials testing the impact of new internet tools on the labor market. The French public employment service (Pôle Emploi) is currently developing various online interactive tools targeting jobseekers, caseworkers and employers. The projects in which the RA will participate would include 1/ the evaluation of a mobile application targeting jobseekers that provides quick and easy access to localized information about the labor market (local job opportunities, local wages, etc.) and 2/ the evaluation of an innovative recommender algorithm of job ads to job-seekers based on job seekers’ stated preferences for job attributes (occupation, wage, distance, etc.).
These projects are jointly conducted by the CREST (Palaiseau) under the supervision of Pr. Bruno Crépon, and the Statistics Directorate of Pôle Emploi. The position is essentially based at CREST, but we may spend one to two days per week at Pôle-Emploi (located in Paris 20) depending on the progress of the projects.
Responsibilities would include:
- Assisting with the designing of the experimental strategy and with the execution of this strategy.
- Conducting reviews of relevant literature on promising labor market programs and cutting edge statistical, machine learning and evaluation methods;
- Performing data cleaning procedures and preparing data sets for various kinds of statistical analyses; Assisting with data analysis and preparation of results.
- Economics or statistics student (Master 1 or Master 2);
- Strong interest in labor economics and microeconometric evaluation of public policies;
- Advanced knowledge in data analysis, econometrics, machine learning. Experience with statistical software (Stata, R, Python);
- Ability to work independently;
- Excellent communication and organization skills;
- Language requirements : French (fluent) and English (working proficiency)
Monthly gross wage : 2075 euros
Start date : October 1, 2019