Research Associate, PLACE-SSE Project - J-PAL South Asia
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) is pleased to announce a Research Associate position for the PLACESSE project, an impact evaluation of two interventions run by Pratham Education Foundation in Assam, to increase the learning levels of primary school children.
The selected candidate will be based in Nagaon, Assam and will work with Martina Björkman Nyqvist (Associate Professor at the Stockholm School of Economics) and Andrea Guariso (Assistant Professor at Trinity College Dublin) to design, implement, and analyze the endline survey of the Randomized Control Trial.
The position is designed to help the selected candidate prepare for graduate-level studies in quantitative research and/or further professional opportunities in impact evaluation.
The RA will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Assisting the Principal Investigators in developing instruments for the endline survey of the study, and running the pilot exercise;
- Digitizing the data collection instruments on Survey CTO;
- Managing teams: Recruit, train, and supervise field-teams consisting of project assistants, field managers, field-based surveyors, data entry operators and other field and office staff;
- Supervising data collection and data entry, and ensuring data quality and productivity; Overseeing the entire data collection process, and ensuring that it complies with standards for data quality;
- Assisting with data cleaning, preliminary data analysis, and preparation of documents and presentations for dissemination
- Assisting with applications to local and international institutional review boards;
- Liaising with government officials at the state, district and block levels, and the partner organization at the local level;
- Writing high-quality documents for the evaluation, including training manuals, process reports and reports of results from the different rounds of data collection;
Desired qualifications Required:
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in economics, statistics, education, or a related field;
- Excellent management and organizational skills;
- Familiarity with randomized evaluations;
- Flexibility, motivation, and ability to work independently and with others;
- Experience cleaning and managing data and performing basic analysis in Stata;
- Experience digitizing survey instruments on Survey CTO;
- Experience working in the education sector, preferably field experience - either directly working in schools or implementing education programs in India;
- Willingness to live in Assam and travel extensively to study sites across Nagaon and other districts is essential Preferred:
- Proficiency in Hindi;
- Experience overseeing large-scale projects;
- Experience liaising with an external partner organization.
Note on work authorizations:
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan, and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI).
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the [Research] job category, then select "[Research Associate, PLACE-SSE Project - J-PAL South Asia]” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered. You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.