Research Associate Positions - J-PAL Africa
J-PAL Africa in SALDRU at the University of Cape Town’s School of Economics is looking for those interested in becoming Research Associates. Varying locations (Johannesburg, Cape Town, potentially others) and contract lengths may be available.
At J-PAL Africa, you will gain practical experience in field research and exposure to world class researchers. You will refine your analytical and project management skills and will be exposed to cutting edge thinking in economics and evidence based policy advising.
Tasks may include:
- Project management, monitoring and implementation of an RCT or multiple RCTs.
- Coordinating field logistics and managing field teams.
- Conducting data collection, cleaning and analysis.
- Contributing to questionnaire, intervention and research design.
- Managing relationships with key project partners.
- Assisting with writing grant applications and budgeting for prospective projects.
- Conducting scoping work with policymaking partners for prospective research projects.
- A minimum of an Honour’s degree in economics, the social sciences, or other Honour’s level degrees involving training in statistics or coursework in quantitative research methods.
- Strong proven quantitative skills.
- Fluency in English. Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent management and organizational skills, detail-oriented with ability to work both independently and in groups and to be supervised remotely.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and Stata.
- Familiarity with randomized control trials.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work under time pressure and solve problems in field.
- Valid driver’s licence
- Right to work in South Africa (citizenship, permanent residency or critical skills visa)
- Prior research assistance experience in the field.
- Experience with data cleaning, merging and management using Stata/R programming.
- Proficiency in an official South African language other than English (e.g., isiZulu, isiXhosa).
- Interest in labour, health or education
This job posting is for full-time contract positions ranging in length and location. At present we are seeking interest for possible positions as follows:
- Johannesburg-based 4 months to 1 year
- Cape Town-based up to 1 year
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents to [email protected] with the subject line “RA Application 2018”: (1) a cover letter clearly outlining your qualifications for the responsibilities listed above (2) Curriculum Vitae, (3) transcripts of your undergraduate and graduate courses including course names and grades. Please also complete this online form (without this your application materials will not be considered).
Full link to online form: https://goo.gl/forms/H6tOMie8BCDqT1Ih1
Recruitment will follow UCT’s hiring procedure and remuneration is commensurate with UCT pay-scales. UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. UCT reserves the right not to appoint.