Research Associate/ Senior Research Associate - Green Accelerator Program - J-PAL South Asia
Research Associate/ Senior Research Associate
Project Title: Green Accelerator Program
State: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Start Date: Feb-March 2023
Length of Commitment: 24 months
Education: Bachelors/Master’s in Economics, Environment or Public Policy
Organization: J-PAL South Asia at IFMR
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 194 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 193 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
About the position
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate / Senior Research Associate to lead impact evaluations in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Research Associate will join a team of world-class researchers from leading universities in the world and will gain first-hand experience implementing randomized control trials in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research Read more about our work and projects here.
Project Specific Details:
This project aims to provide empirical evidence to determine the success and scalability of a green accelerator model that will require extensive data collection from participating firms during the 24 month study. We are collaborating with a prominent NGO to compare the efficacy of different models under the green accelerator program to empirically measure the effect on participating firms economic and environmental impacts. This study using a randomized controlled field experiment will lend to the literature that allows for causal examination of combining multiple interventions into one business support program. The Principal Investigators leading this project are Stephen Anderson ( McCombs School of Business) and Pradeep Chintagunta ( University of Chicago)
Research Associate Roles and Responsibilities:
Research Associates work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety task including, but not limited to:
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running scoping exercises, refining study design and surveying instruments.
- Supervising data collection and data-entry and ensuring data quality and productivity.
- Overseeing implementation of the evaluation in accordance to the research design, in collaboration with our partner organizations.
- Maintaining relationships with partner organizations at both headquarters and field levels
- Managing field teams: Recruit, train, and supervise both field-based and data operations teams consisting of project assistants, field managers, field-based surveyors, data entry operators and other field and office staff.
- Assisting with data cleaning, preliminary data analysis, and preparation of documents and presentations for dissemination.
- Reporting to PIs and supervisor on all the above-mentioned activities.
- Any other task as assigned by the Research Manager, AD Research and ED
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- An advanced university degree in economics, environment or public policy.
- Previous experience of 1-2 years preferably in development research is preferred.
- Familiarity with impact evaluations and randomized controlled trials is required.
- Proficiency in STATA (or other tools such as R, SPSS etc.) is required.
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English are required.
- Conversational skills in regional languages, especially Hindi is desired.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Willingness to live and travel extensively to study areas
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Ability to work independently
Note on Work Authorizations:
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India.
How to Apply
Any queries, please write to [email protected].