Research Associate, SHGs – EPoD India at IFMR
EPoD India at IFMR, in collaboration with Yale University’s Economic Growth Centre and MacMillan Center, work together to use economic frameworks and analytical tools to answer pressing policy questions and spur real-world change. We partner with policymakers to understand challenges to achieving policy objectives, design and test interventions, and share applicable insights from economic theory and empirics to more effectively deliver public services and improve the well-being of vulnerable groups. Current areas of research include gender and economic engagement (labor markets, technology, and financial inclusion); environmental policy, and governance.
EPoD India, in partnership with its host institution, IFMR, is currently seeking a Research Associate to support a new field-based project based in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. Further details on the project are outlined below.
The position requires a self-starting candidate who can conduct in-depth interviews and scoping activities, manage field activities and coordinate field staff for the execution of surveys and RCTs, and support with high quality cleaning and rigorous analysis of both primary and secondary data. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from Warwick University and Penn State University and EPoD India at IFMR LEAD to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
About the Project:
EPoD India is undertaking a study that aims to understand the impact of Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and other forms of economic collectives (EC) of women. SHGs are a channel through which women can share knowledge, information about production and consumption. However, little is known about how SHGs work, how knowledge diffuses in these groups, what is the most effective size and composition of these groups and what are the best way to maximize their outcomes. We will be partnering with local organizations that currently manage SHGs and work with them in order to evaluate groups. The project is at an early stage, allowing for the right candidate to provide valuable input to shape its direction. The project is expected to include considerable scoping and one medium-sized survey in preparation.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting for the project
- Assist in the design and field-testing of survey instruments and develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners
- Seek out and collect administrative data from partners and government agencies
- Conduct data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using multiple primary and secondary data sources
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Contribute to analysis and writing of policy briefs for various government partners and case studies on project components
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for Yale and IFMR in India and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub
- Others, as required
- Bachelor's candidates with at least 2 years of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field. Field experience is a plus.
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries.
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills.
- Proficiency in Stata and the Microsoft Office suite is required; experience in spatial analysis
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Master's degree in economics or related field.
- Experience with spatial analysis (e.g. ArcGIS) preferred.
- Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners of various levels.
This position will be based in Raipur, Chhattisgarh, with regular travel expected.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please email [email protected]. In the subject line, put “Research Associate, SHGs – EPoD India at IFMR” followed by your first and last name (e.g., “XXX – Jane Doe) and attach the following documents:
· Cover letter (one page max)
· Academic transcripts from all degrees received
To visit other open positions, please visit the MacMillan Center’s employment website.