Research Associate, Uganda - IPA
This study is to conduct the first randomized experiment offering free access to lawyers for consumers involved in mobile money disputes. A recent “random digit dialing” survey from the IPA consumer protection initiative in Uganda found that 99% of the sample used mobile money services, and 49% of them encountered a significant challenge or a financial loss. Funds are sent but not delivered correctly and utility bills aren’t paid, which may hurt consumers, reduce their trust in mobile network operators, and negate the positive effects of mobile money. There are very few existing recourses: only 20% of those with a challenge managed to resolve their dispute. None of the respondents used the services of a lawyer.
The Centre for Technology Disputes Resolution – Uganda (CTDR-U) will assist consumers with lawyers using an innovative legal strategy to resolve these disputes. This project is a randomized experiment to test the efficacy of this new model.
For this study, the Research Associate will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, programming survey tools into SurveyCTO, conducting refining study design and survey plans, submitting and managing IRB and other research approvals, training and managing survey teams, monitoring field work using high frequency data checks, cleaning and analyzing data, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with key partners.
The Research Associate reports to and falls under the direct supervision of the Research Manager and works closely with the Principal Investigator on the project. The Research Associate may from time to time perform other duties not listed in the job description.
- Liaise with Principal Investigators and Research Manager in the design of survey questionnaires
- Work with the data manager to program survey tools using SurveyCTO, high-frequency checks and data flows
- Develop data collection protocols and data quality assurance protocol
- Develop a data collection plan (procurement, logistics and route plan) that ensures adherence to data collection budget
- Manage the project budget
- Lead training of team leaders, auditors and enumerators
- Conduct daily data quality checks
- Ensure implementation of survey spot checks and back-checks
- Compile clean databases
- Assist the PI team in data analysis as requested
- Assisting in managing relationships with donors, partner organizations and researchers
- Produce technical reports for donor and/or other stakeholders (e.g. fieldwork reports)
- Keep the Research Manager and the PI team appraised of all project activities
- Other Duties
- As assigned by your supervisor, perform other tasks, which are consistent with your level in the organization.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Designated Project Field Managers, and overall oversight of the Field Officers.
- Bachelor's degree in economics, business management, social sciences, public policy, political science or related fields, Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in Stata and experience with data management, cleaning, and analysis
- Experience with quantitative research, particularly with randomized controlled trials
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills;
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Experience running a large-scale survey and managing the survey implementation and data entry process
- Experience with Computer-Assisted Interviewing is preferred, but not required
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English language.
- Ability and willingness to be based in Uganda for project duration
- Ability and willingness to be based in Uganda for project
- Ability and willingness to travel to various project sites as Covid situation permits
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with government standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with IPA standards
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone