Research Coordinator, Burkina Faso - IPA
- Burkina Faso
IPA seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual with outstanding project management, data analysis, people management and communication skills as a Research Coordinator to oversee a portfolio of 2 to 3 research projects in Burkina Faso. This portfolio will cover various sectors including education, financial inclusion and agriculture and may include other sectors depending on IPA evolving vision.
The Research Coordinator position is a unique opportunity to provide strong leadership and act as a critical bridge between leading academic researchers, policymakers, and staff implementing impact evaluation research on the ground. He/she will join the dynamic and committed IPA Burkina Faso team and contribute to the successful implementation of research projects, development of new projects, capacity building of team members and relationships management with local stakeholders and implementing partners.
IPA is looking for someone who can smoothly interact with leading researchers and development partners, enjoys managing and improving internal processes, and has a team-oriented mindset. Outstanding candidates should have a background in both research and project management, be clear analytical thinker, and be unafraid to accomplish a tremendous amount of work with enduring good humor.
This position will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
The Research Coordinator (RC) will be responsible for the overall management of a portfolio of 2-3 research projects, most of which will be in the education, financial inclusion or agriculture sectors and will include wide scale surveys across multiple regions of Burkina Faso. Each of these projects is expected to be staffed with a permanent team of 1 or 2 staff and up to 50-100 short term staff during survey periods.
In particular, the Research Coordinator (RC) will:
- Recruit and onboard project personnel such as Research Associates and Field Managers.
- Coach, manage, and support a team of Research Associates and field staff in the implementation of complex impact evaluations around the country.
- Manage relationships with investigators in multiple research institutions, funders and implementing partners to ensure successful projects.
- Plan and supervise survey implementation, quality assurance, data cleaning, data analysis and other activities related to rigorous impact evaluation implementation.
- Oversee the quality of client and partner deliverables
- Develop and manage project budgets to ensure expenditures are always within budgeted amounts.
- Produce reports for donors, researchers and other stakeholders.
- Maintain compliance with IPA’s policies and procedures as well as the Burkina Faso’s law.
- Support the development of new projects in Burkina Faso, by establishing relationships with researchers, implementers, and funders, and developing opportunities and proposals.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Master’s in statistic, econometric or mathematic or a field related to development economics or public policy;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience with 2 on household surveys coordination and at least 3 with high level research institution;
- Strong analytical abilities, and experience with sampling, data analysis and interpretation. Mastery of impact evaluation methodology and its applications. Background in randomized control trials is a plus
- Experience conducting social science or economic field research; experience in conducting field research in developing countries required.;
- Experience supervising data collection and teams of field workers, designing and implementing surveys;
- Experience with Stata required. Advanced knowledge of Stata,
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required;
- Strong critical thinking and judgment to quickly identify problems and devise solutions as well as escalate matters as needed;
- Strong quantitative, budgeting, and financial management skills required;
- Ability to present research findings in an insightful and structured manner, both written and oral, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external partners.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in both French and English is required;
- Passion for making data-driven decision a reality in the development sector.
- We are looking for a commitment period of at least three years for this position.