Research Intern (Summer 2023) - J-PAL MENA
J-PAL Title: Research Intern (Summer 2023)
Reports To: Research Associates
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Start Date: June 1, 2023
End Date: August 15, 2023
Length of Commitment: 10 weeks
Paid position: This internship pays a modest stipend
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab’s Middle East and North Africa regional office is based at The American University in Cairo School of Business. J-PAL (povertyactionlab.org) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of more than 260 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL draws on results from randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty.
J-PAL’s mission is to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is based on scientific evidence, and research is translated into action. We do this through three main activities:
- Conducting rigorous impact evaluations: J-PAL-affiliated researchers conduct randomized evaluations to test and improve the effectiveness of programs and policies aimed at reducing poverty.
- Policy outreach: J-PAL’s policy group analyzes and disseminates research results and builds partnerships with policymakers to ensure that policy is driven by evidence, and effective programs are scaled up.
- Capacity building: J-PAL equips practitioners with the expertise to carry out their own rigorous evaluations through training courses and joint research projects.
J-PAL MENA at AUC is recruiting a Research Intern to contribute to its mission of promoting evidence-based policy. This is a paid, full-time position (40 hours per week) and we ask for a ten-week, in person commitment at minimum.
The Research Intern supports the efforts of the Research Group at J-PAL MENA to support project development and coordination.
- Research material preparation: Preparing survey instruments and other project materials
- Coding: Supporting in reviewing and cleaning data using statistical packages
- Field coordination: Working closely with local implementation partners and assisting with coordination of enumerators’ work
- Research writing: Assisting writing tasks that involve formatting, and editing literature reviews, reports, etc.
- Sector-specific work: Completing small research and writing tasks that involve working with policy staff for J-PAL MENA’s sectors (Education, Environment, Energy, & Climate Change, Finance, Firms, Gender, Health, Social Protection, and Labor Markets)
- Miscellaneous: Other tasks as needed
Your strong research and organizational skills, as well as your background in economics/statistics and your interest in poverty alleviation, make you an ideal candidate for the Research Intern position.
- Education: You are a fresh graduate or a junior or senior with high grades in economics coursework, including econometrics/statistics.
- Experience and interest: You have demonstrated strong interest in research and international development through coursework, study abroad, or previous internship experience. You have
- demonstrated interest in developing advanced programming and analytic skills. Familiarity with randomized evaluations and econometric methods is preferred. Experience with at least one statistical analysis language required; STATA, R, or Python strongly preferred.
- Communication: Your strong communication skills help you write clear and concise documents.
- Organization: Your robust organizational capacity and ability to pay attention to detail enable you to handle several projects at once and meet deadlines.
- Cultural competencies: You are comfortable and adept at working in a diverse and multicultural work environment, with colleagues, partners, and policymakers from around the world. You display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Attitude: You are willing to work hard, excited to learn, and enthusiastic about taking on a broad range of assignments.
How to Apply
Important information for your application to be considered: Please combine your resume, tailored cover letter, and transcripts (unofficial transcripts ok) in a single PDF document and email that one document to [email protected] by April 1, 2023. Please write “Research Intern” in the subject of your email. Only applicants who submit all of these materials will be considered. Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted.