Research Intern - Volunteerism in India - J-PAL South Asia
We are seeking two interns for the provisionally titled project “Volunteerism in India”. The interns will work directly under the 2 PIs (University of British Columbia and University of California, San Diego) to ensure that this early scoping phase runs successfully. The interns will be based initially in Delhi, and will then travel and stay in other locations in northern India (exact locations to be determined).
Various social movement organizations in India promote volunteerism, particularly among Indian youth. We are interested in studying to what extent these groups can successfully train and mould the preferences of young people to be (i) more self-sacrificing/pro-social; (ii) less ingroup-minded; and (iii) more or less politically interested.
Our initial scoping period will focus on the inner workings of various social movement organizations – understanding the scale of each, nature of recruitment activities, and experiences of volunteers. Following this scoping period, we plan to design a randomized evaluation to estimate the direct effects of participation in social movement organizations on the preferences and beliefs of individuals, using surveys and behavioural games.
The general tasks expected of the Research Intern will include, but are not limited to:
- Obtaining information about the recruitment activities of various social movement organizations across India
- Qualitative interviewing of volunteers in order to establish stylised facts.
- Some involvement with social movement organizations to record facts “on the ground”
- Designing pilot survey questionnaires, running piloting, refining study design
- Brainstorming new ideas and solutions to logistical/design problems
- Coordinate with the Administrative and Finance team on a variety of tasks related to field staff contracting and payments, procurement, expense reimbursement
- Report to PIs on all of the above mentioned activities
- Fluent Hindi and English speaking.
- Past experience of fieldwork.
- Willingness to be based outside of Delhi (exact location TBC)
- Previous experience with JPAL/IFMR/IPA or similar, as Intern or similar
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy or related fields
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal, or Bhutan, and an Overseas Citizens of India (OCI).
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the [Research] job category, then select "[Research Intern - Volunteerism in India - J-PAL South Asia]” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.