Research Manager - Development Economics - University of Zurich (Pomeranz)
Professor Dina Pomeranz seeks a Research Manager to help manage her academic research. This position will fit candidates interested in a role that combines both research work and managerial activities. The Research Manager will work closely with Professor Pomeranz, managing a team of research assistants and conducting data analysis for her research portfolio in development economics, public finance and impact evaluation.
The role requires a minimum commitment of 2 years and there is the possibility to extend long term. The work can be adapted to be full time or reduced time, with a minimum 70%, depending on preference of the candidate. The position is based in Zurich (possibility to start remotely due to Covid-19). We can seek employment authorization for international applicants if required.
This position combines research and managerial functions, and it is ideal for someone who thrives working independently and handling multiple responsibilities concurrently. The Research Manager will be involved in all stages of research – brainstorming, literature reviews, survey design, data analysis in Stata, data processing, data visualization and writing. The managerial activities include liaising with funders and collaborators, organizing events, writing reports, planning tasks and timelines, overseeing project finances and supporting and managing a team of 3-5 research assistants. The position is compatible with taking courses at the University of Zurich and attending seminars.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree or PhD in economics or related field, with a strong background in impact evaluation methods.
- Strong knowledge of Stata, experience working with code and data analysis, with high attention-to-detail to ensure that results are error-free and meet high academic standards.
- Professional proficiency in written and oral English.
- Leadership and “people skills”: ability to listen, communicate and create a cooperative atmosphere in the team. Experience in leadership roles, managing teams or projects.
- Excellent organizational skills to oversee deadlines, meet multiple concurrent demands and ensure that documentations and tasks are kept organized across all projects.
- Familiarity with or interest in research and evaluation in developing countries.
- Prior work experience as a research assistant or research manager in impact evaluation or empirical economics is welcome.
Interested candidates should upload the following documents: motivation letter, academic transcripts, CV, and at least two letters of references.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Mid- and Senior-Level Research job category, then select "Research Manager - Development Economics - University of Zurich (Pomeranz)” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.