Research Manager - Duke University
- United States of America
- Other advanced degree
Position Title: Research Manager for Professor Erica Field
Background: Professor Erica Field seeks a Research Manager to work with her academic research team at [email protected] [email protected] connects social scientists at Duke University who work in international development with the community of development practitioners. The Lab works directly with donors such as USAID and the World Bank on research opportunities, the promotion of evaluable programming, and on impact evaluations themselves. The Lab also works with implementers, such as RTI, DAI, Social Impact, and others at the project proposal stage as well as the implementation and monitoring/evaluation stages. We are cross-sectoral, interdisciplinary, and interested in pushing the boundaries between the academic and policy worlds in international development with a permanent eye toward improving the lives of the poor.
The Research Manager supports Professor Field’s portfolio of applied international development research and evaluation by working closely with her and co-PIs to perform and oversee a number of administrative tasks related to project management.
Primary responsibilities of the Research Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying funding opportunities and leading the grant application process in conjunction with the team of PIs, post-docs and student RAs
- Managing—and acting as Professor Field’s spokesperson—in communications with institution partners and other key stakeholders, including the Duke grant administration team and other Duke administrators and staff
- Serving as the point of contact and handling communication with faculty, students, and other stakeholders within and outside the University
- Overseeing recruitment and staffing for the research team, including hiring & contracting processes, timekeeping and payroll tasks
- Basic project management, including supervising domestic and field RAs (full time associates in research, as well as undergraduate and graduate student RAs)
- Planning effort and salary for PIs and research team staff and students, budgeting and allocating discretionary and sponsored funding resources in support of project activities.
- Managing field activities, including travel for Professor Field and other team members
- Creating and maintaining a database of material on current research, including Professor Field’s CV, support documents and project summaries
- Managing the research team’s meetings and events
- Managing website/communication and social media presence
- General administrative and coordination work for the research team, such as: processing reimbursement requests; managing usage of lab office space E
Education: Master’s or Ph.D. with at least 3 years of experience
Desired Qualifications and Experience: Applicants for the positions of RM should possess:
- A Master’s degree or Ph.D. in economics, finance, public policy, or other related fields and should have strong quantitative skills (undergraduate/post-graduate training in finance, microeconomics, development economics, econometrics and statistics is preferred).
- 3-4 years of relevant experienceFamiliarity with or interest in research and evaluation in developing countries and/or international development organizations.
- Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand, including clear, precise, non-technical writing, and creativity in presentation.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills.
- Quantitative skills with data management, econometrics, and knowledge of STATA or other data analysis software.
- Valuable experience in managing teams and interacting with institutional partners.
- Familiarity will grants management process, including drafting grant proposals and post-award management.
- Strong interest in international development policy and research.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines. A willingness to work hard, be self-motivated and learn will be essential for doing well in this position. Experience in managing teams and interacting with institutional partners strongly desired.
- Experience in conducting field research in developing countries with a background in randomized evaluations is a plus.
- Willingness to travel.
How to Apply
To complete your application, please submit the following items to Erica Field at: [email protected]
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information of three references