Research Manager - Employment Lab, Morocco - J-PAL MENA
- Other advanced degree
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School and the Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) seek a qualified Research Manager to manage impact evaluations conducted by the Morocco Employment Lab.
The objective of the Employment Lab is to support the creation of a culture of evidence through impact evaluations and capacity building, to strengthen existing labor market programs and improve the effectiveness of future programs and policies in Morocco. The position offers an opportunity for the Research Manager to gain first-hand field experience in the design of impact evaluations and in collecting data in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
The Research Manager position requires significant training in economics and significant experience in empirical research. The holder of this position oversees research staff working across all of the Employment Lab’s projects. S/he ensures research protocols are respected and engages with local authorities and undertake administrative procedures to ensure all data collection authorizations are obtained. In addition, S/he supports the Employment Lab Director managing relationships with donors and partners, including with report drafting.
We have also posted an offer for a Senior Research Associate position but we will be hiring only one person for either of these positions. Please also review the Senior Research Associate job description and only apply to the one that fits better your skills and experience.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Research project management: For ongoing research projects, work under J-PAL affiliate Principal Investigators (PIs) and co-PIs to:
- Develop research public goods
- Play an active role in Research Associate onboarding
- Ensure J-PAL research protocols are respected through all research activities, report to J-PAL Global and J-PAL Middle East and North Africa
- Provide support to research staff throughout the project lifecycle: this includes helping with technical questions (e.g. coding in STATA), devising data encryption protocols, personally identifiable data management
- Lead new and revised institutional review board applications
- Engage with local authorities and undertake administrative procedures to ensure all data collection authorizations are obtained
- Play an active role in PI onboarding
- Collaborate with PIs on the design and implementation of data collection plans
- Assist with the logistics of hiring a survey firm, including drafting terms of reference
Support on new and ongoing research project development:
- Lead technical exploration of potential new impact evaluations with J-PAL affiliated professors, helping to develop research design, recruit implementing partners, and support efforts to secure project funding
- Support the Employment Lab Director managing partner and donor relationships
- Draft reports targeted to donors/partners
Contribute to research resources: Lead creation of some research technical public goods to help develop the Employment Lab research team technical skills.
Share research results: Present ongoing and completed research results from projects with partners, broader stakeholders in government, donors, and others in person and virtually.
Miscellaneous: Any other tasks as needed.
Education: Master’s degree in economics, mathematics, or statistics.
- Experience with STATA and/or R data analysis software is a must; experience interpreting data analysis; experience with academic writing
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience, including 4 years of research experience
- Proven experience managing teams and projects
- Significant experience with data collection techniques and data analysis software
- Advanced user of STATA and/or R data analysis software
- Bi-lingual Arabic and English
- Advanced knowledge of data collection techniques and field research, including primary data collection
- Project management skills: Ability to plan tasks for teams, monitor progress, make corrections to plans
- Strong budget management skills required
- Team player with good problem solving and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
How to Apply
If you are interested, please share your CV and cover letter with Yamina Mohattane at [email protected] following these instructions: (1) In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family) name and (2) in the email body: Copy exactly and only the following line: “Research Manager, Employment Lab, Morocco”.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.