Research Manager, Environment, Energy, & Climate Change Sector - J-PAL South Asia
- Other advanced degree
The Research Vertical at J-PAL South Asia delivers end to end management support to randomized evaluations designed and conducted by J-PAL researchers. This support includes personalized guidance in all phases of evaluations, including scoping, planning, data collection, implementation, data management and processing, and reporting. The vertical acts as a clearing house for information and has expertise in evaluation design, management and administration: to ensure that every aspect of an evaluation meets the highest quality standards.
The Research Managers will work closely with the Senior Managers and Associate Director, Research to drive and manage the growth and development of the Research Vertical, relating to all things evaluations, research advisory, data, compliance and organization. The ideal candidate will successfully manage a number of projects varying in size and complexities; will thrive in a learning rich, fast-paced, deadline oriented yet thoughtful environment that is research-focused.
- Lend expertise to strategic planning and execution across the evaluation lifecycle of projects in the designated portfolio
- Designate roles and responsibilities for each project team member (including Finance Managers), manage project timelines & schedule check-in dialogues with team members, liaise & communicate with external stakeholders, internal team and set up management reporting.
- Mentor Senior Research Associates and Research Associates to build technical and managerial competence
- Provide support on preparing research proposals, design, survey implementation and monitoring, data management, report writing and dissemination and policy outreach
- Assist in preparing detailed budgets and work plans in coordination with finance team/PIs
- Responsible for preparing donor reports and general project documentation
- Liaising with academics, officials, policymakers, donors, partner organizations as a project representative
- Represent J-PAL in meetings and conferences
- Maintain clear lines of communication with PIs and the AD Research
- Ensure compliance with J-PAL’s research protocols
- Report to PIs on all of the above mentioned activities
- Maintain and expand current knowledge of field of expertise of thematic areas for portfolio of projects, through continuous literature reviews and landscape analysis, and communicate new developments and resulting impact to team members.
- Exceptional management of local or virtual teams, demonstrating natural authority
- Ability to drive and adapt to change
- Strong communication skills, as well as listening and interpretation skills
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to reference existing practices, policies and stakeholders, and their knowledge and experience to review unique and complex situations and, through specific consultation, to propose solutions to issues.
- Ability to receive escalated matters or sensitive information and respond to or process.
Team Leadership and Management:
- Oversee a team, with a maximum of 3 direct reports, including, Senior Associates and Research Associates.
- Provide leadership to the research team and act as a champion for the team working across verticals and with the Senior Management team.
- Continuously mentor and support the team to build their capacity on research and evaluation, management and quality
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields
- Prior work or volunteer experience in developing countries
- Minimum three years of relevant work experience
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Strong quantitative/statistical skills
- Ability to deal with senior government officials
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English and Hindi
- Knowledge of STATA (preferred), SAS, R, or other data analysis software
- Familiarity with Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs)
- Willingness to travel frequently
Note on Work Authorizations: Candidates must have work authorization to work in India. This covers citizens of India, Nepal or Bhutan, Persons of Indian origin (PIO), and an Overseas Citizens of India (OCI).
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the "Research" job category, then select "Research Manager, Environment, Energy, & Climate Change Sector - J-PAL South Asia” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.